Look at the World Anti Doping List

kema
kema Posts: 46
edited August 2007 in Pro race
http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/2007_List_En.pdf

I've just download the list of banned substances and had a read.

Have a read yourself and see if you could accidentally be caught out?

Unless we are very ill (therefore not cycling fit) most adults could tell you what their medication their body contained i.e. asthma inhaler, salbutmol, antibiotics, pain killers ibruprofen, codeine, aspirin, alcohol from a cough syrup.

Therefore in my opinion anyone found with banned substances in their urine or blood is a cheat, and to claim they didn't know is lies.

A professional cyclist must have one of the biggest support networks behind them and at that level to claim not to know what is in their system is ludicrous.

Thanks

Kembo
Kema , Manchester

Hybrid Marin and Specialized Allez triple

Comments

• OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    One of the big problems is different constituents used in the same brand name in different countries.
    A Scots skier got caught at the last Winter Olympics, his UK version of a nasal spray was passed as OK by the team doctor, the one he bought in the USA contained pseudoephedrine, his bronze medal was thus forfeited.
    I didn't see a single antibiotic on that list, and I can think of no performance-enhancing capability of any such agent.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Another legit(?) 'accident' is when taking protien/carb replacements that have been contaminated during production (e.g. previous process contained a banned substance) far fetched? But possible. And apparently taking painkillers that contain more than just paracetamol . eg paracodol. But I'm not sure about that one !!
    And until this year you needed a TUE for nasal sprays containing glucocorticosteroids - my son who has a house mite allergy (&who has only competed twice) nearly slipped up on that one!!
  • kema
    One of the big problems is different constituents used in the same brand name in different countries.

In Britain all foodstuffs and medicines must list their active ingredients on the external packaging that includes energy and recovery powders.

An experienced sport doctor wouldn't give advice based on the brand name they would ask for the packaging, and an experienced cyclist wouldn't take the risk of taking something they weren't sure off unless they were a cheat willing to take the risk.

This isn't the 1930's with no helmets, merino wool clothes, strap on pedals, sugar water, honey sandwiches and bananas; it's 2007 with Hi tech everything, maltodextrin,GPS, wireless earpieces, soigneurs, carbon everything, sports science experts everywhere.
    No excuse with all the support they have.

People are cheating in all sports it's just a shame they're picking on cycling.

They should start on tennis, an endurance sport where women can put on 14 - 20lbs of muscle in a year, change their build, get acne, grow facial hair, get wider jawlines, hit the ball a lot faster than the year before and no one thinks it's strange?
    Kema , Manchester

• AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    A Scots skier got caught at the last Winter Olympics, his UK version of a nasal spray was passed as OK by the team doctor, the one he bought in the USA contained pseudoephedrine, his bronze medal was thus forfeited.

The Canadian version contained ephedrine, which is definitely performance-enhancing and definitely banned.

There is speculation that some supplement manufacturers deliberately spike their product with PEDs so it's clearly better - deeply naughty.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Digressing a bit looking at that list it would seem alcohol is allowed while cycling (though not recommended obviously) :-) Its banned in obvious sports as driving and shooting and somewhat bizarrely boules/bowls wtf ?

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • kema
    The Canadian version contained ephedrine,

Any good decongestant contains ephidrine, just like any strong painkiller will contain codeine, just like preventative inhalers contain salbutamol.

saying different countries have different ingredients is no excuse, athletes all over the world use this excuse every year, "It was a cold remedy !!!, I didn't know !"

When you take part in one of the most suspected sports why would you take the risk?
    Kema , Manchester

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    given all the pro-plus, lucozade, ibuprofen i used to consume before a rugby match i'd say i was decidedly an anti-non-false-negative

given the people on the steroids tryin to turn them sleves into arnie i was probably bradly wiggins though having said that
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • In the late 60s and early 70s British cyclists who went to race in Holland and Belgium used to take over boxes and boxes of Boots honey throat pastilles to sell to the locals because, even in the lax testing climate of the day, it was the only throat pastille the pros could use on a dusty day - all the continental ones had too much amphetamine in them. Mercxks used to eat them like sweets, apparently.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    kema wrote:
    Any good decongestant contains ephidrine, just like any strong painkiller will contain codeine, just like preventative inhalers contain salbutamol.

saying different countries have different ingredients is no excuse, athletes all over the world use this excuse every year, "It was a cold remedy !!!, I didn't know !"

Well, that's true enough. The suspicious number of athletes with legitimate carry notes for salbutamol is a case in point - do they really all have wheezy pipes?
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    AndyGates wrote:
    There is speculation that some supplement manufacturers deliberately spike their product with PEDs so it's clearly better - deeply naughty.

Isn't that what Linford Cristie claimed when he got collared for nandralone – that it was a tainted energy bar, or something like that?

p.s. seen this website? – http://www.evandalevillagefair.com/