Hardtail £ 600 Max

Jonny-88
Jonny-88 Posts: 14
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi, so I am new to MTB and want a decent bike for around £600 but would like it closer to £500 if possible.

I'm aware that any full sus under £1000 is a bit dodgy so I definetly want a hardtail.

My question is which one ? I'm open to all ideas

Obviously I want a good all round bike and I will be doing some small jumps so it needs to be sturdy. I needs to have hydrolic brakes and a decent fork and frame.

Thanks

Comments

• Big n Daft
    Big n Daft Posts: 418
    You were 95% sure you wanted a Fury not too long ago..... :roll:

Well......small jumps? As in trail sized ones? Or full on jumpy types?

Trail, general xc bikes.....
    Giant XTC 4.5 or 3.5
    Trek 6000 disc
    Spesh Rockhopper Disc.
    Decathlon Rockrider.
    Fury (because at £450, it will match if not beat most of the above on spec)
    Merlin Malt
    Boardman Comp (the best specced £600 bike i have ever seen)

Jump bikes, i dunno, not my thing.

Take a look, try em out (if poss) decide which feels the best, hand over moolah, ride and enjoy.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x42/ ... 3Small.jpg
  • Jonny-88
    Jonny-88 Posts: 14
    What about a GT Avalanche 1.0. It certainly got a good review on this site and halfords should stock it so that means 10% off as well.
  • Big n Daft
    Not bad, decent enough spec although the fury still beats it on fork.

Would make a reasonable choice, i certainly dont think it would let you down if you use it for its designed purpose.

I wouldnt buy one because i do not like the triple triangle thang....but that is soley personal and no reflection on the bike at all.

Again try one out, see how it suits....thats the only way your going to find 'the' one.

• beski
    beski Posts: 542
    GT Aggressor XC1 is worth a look
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • dylancrisp
    dylancrisp Posts: 116
    yeah i have been looking around for a good bike at the 600£ mark. the bikes that got recomended to me the most was the gt 1.0 or 2.0 and the trek 6000.
  • fumps
    fumps Posts: 227
    Grrrrr i wish someone would answer this thread.....lol

I am stuck on the same two bikes. lol i just cant decide & it's driving me BONKERS!!!!

I have to say i love the Trek 6000 in Orange/Black colour sceme
    Arrrghhh it's worse than i thought!!!!!
  • marls
    marls Posts: 1
    Hi,

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago and went for the Trek 6000, so far I think I made the right choice, the only thing I didn't like is the saddle but apart from that I can't fault it for the money.
  • Big n Daft
    fumps wrote:
    Grrrrr i wish someone would answer this thread.....lol

I am stuck on the same two bikes. lol i just cant decide & it's driving me BONKERS!!!!

I have to say i love the Trek 6000 in Orange/Black colour sceme

The answers dead easy.....

Pick the one that feels the best :lol:

• fumps
    fumps Posts: 227
    Yes i am just being daft now.......

I have made my choice & i am doing my order sometime this week !!!

I'll tellyou how it goes
    Arrrghhh it's worse than i thought!!!!!
  • teacherman
    teacherman Posts: 454
    Just bought an '06 Kona Caldera for £550. Alright the spec may not be quite as good as the '07 model but as that retails for £750 - way more than i could afford - it seemed a great deal. Have to say i absolutely love this bike it's tight, responsive and the frame looks strong enough to take some hard use. If you're going dirt jumping though I would buy a bike made for it.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • lzb
    lzb Posts: 15
    Just gone through the same process and agree - ultimately it all depends on which feels best.

My heart said Trek 6000, but for some unknown reason, I just liked the ride of the Specialized Rockhopper.

Carrera Fury was also good but I'm buying on our cyclescheme which doesn't include Halfords.
  • dylancrisp
    dylancrisp Posts: 116
    which rockhopper was that....