Pro TT Warm-up?

TechnoBuddhist
TechnoBuddhist Posts: 108
edited July 2007 in Pro race
Does anybody know what kind of effort the pros put in on their turbos as a warmup for the TT? %power, %HR, Perceived effort, what?

Comments

• Eeuuuggghhh!!!!! :shock:

I guess some riders must have done tests to find out if certain warmup efforts have an impact on their TT time?
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    Those photos are prior to an 8 km prologue, not a 55km TT.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    From Pez:
    http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5160

90 Minutes Before Your Start Time
    Since a solid time trial warmup routine takes about an hour to complete, riders often aim to leave the hotel for the start area about 90 minutes before they have to race. Once they are on the bike pretty quickly and they get started with their warm up. During this 90-minute period, they’ll continue to consume calories (primarily carbohydrates) from sports drinks, and maybe a PowerBar or gel. They’ll also consume plenty of fluids during their warmup, up to about two bottles depending on the rider.
    A long warm up prior to a time trial ensures that you have thoroughly activated all of your energy systems and your body’s cooling mechanisms as well. But it also has to include hard efforts in order to get the job done. It may seem counterintuitive to use a lot of energy right before a big time trial, but you’re using that energy to prepare your body to be able to produce maximum power right from the first minute you roll off the start ramp. Holding back during the warmup just means you’ll go slower in the race.

Doesn't give figures, but I believe most riders will do several maximal efforts in order to get their pulses right up and get the blood flowing.

Yes, they may not go as hard in warmup for a long TT as they would for a prologue, but you can bet they are not just sitting there spinning either.
  • Thanks. Yeah I spose that makes sense. doing some max efforts. If I start to time trial, I'll do some testing to see what works for me. It's the analyst and software developer in me. I need to hone in on the optimal solution. :wink: