Rebadged kit in the pro peloton

grimpeur
grimpeur Posts: 230
edited July 2007 in Workshop
Hmmmmmmm,

Look very closely at this image;

tdf07st18bikes-sastrecranks.jpg

Those aren't FSA cranks, but rather cranks from a Japanese manufacturer beginning with S that have been painted black. ( The spider pattern gives it away ). The chainrings are FSA of course.

Rumours also that some of the Specialized Tour bikes in the Quickstep team are actually rebranded Time.

Comments

• AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    And Planet X's Stealth carbon TT frame is out there too :)
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    grimpeur wrote:

Rumours also that some of the Specialized Tour bikes in the Quickstep team are actually rebranded Time.

It's just the forks that were rebranded Time....not the frames.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/to ... r_tech_607

the rebranded tyres are quite well done :)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Sorry G. They are not S cranks. The arm is the wrong shape entirely.
  • millar time
    millar time Posts: 392
    [/quote]And Planet X's Stealth carbon TT frame is out there too Smile

Who is riding that then?
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Cadel Evans TT bike, with different forks.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    fluff. wrote:
    Cadel Evans TT bike, with different forks.
    Have you got a photo? Would like to see that.
    Rich
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Stage 13 - Saturday, July 21: Albi - Albi, 54km
    Cadel...
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/ ... F07S13-150
    Rich
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    From today:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/ ... TDFS19-015

having watched on TV it is definately the Planet X (and other brands outside the UK) frame with a ridley sticker on the downtube.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ridley only paint their frames in Belgium - the frames come from Taiwan. The Planet-X and the Dolan TT frames are identical too and obviously come from the same factory in Taiwan as Ridley get theirs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Yes - I was amused when reading the ProCycling frame 'BUILDERS' guide a couple of years ago that the Ridley portion was full of photos of a paintshop and a barn full of frame sized boxes with MADE IN CHINA printed all over them.

As Del Boy would say - Fabrique Belgique!

NSC
  • grimpeur
    This old nutshell, what is wrong with frame built in the far east.

Most of the chips in the computer that you are reading this on were fabricated in China. Have you been there? The days of made in China being the mark of a cheap low quality product are gone. Companies out in Asia have a hell of a lot more expertise in Carbon Fibre fabrication that the likes of small bike manufacturers in Europe.

I've just ordered a Cervelo which I believe are made in factories in China or Taiwan. The reason I chose a Cervelo over the likes of a Colnago was that the design that goes into Cervelo seems to be much more thorough, as an engineer myself I appreciate this. Maybe you like the notion that you frame has been carefully handcrafted in Italy, some people like that and I have nothing against it. But at the end of the day I just want something that is well designed and rides well, hence I chose the Cervelo.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Planet X and dolan frames are not the same BTW - there is a thread on www.weightweenies.starbike.com which discusses the planet X frame and which other brands also use it. Ridley have their own (differetn) TT frame so it is interesting that Cadel prefers to use the Planet X.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    grimpeur wrote:
    This old nutshell, what is wrong with frame built in the far east.

Most of the chips in the computer that you are reading this on were fabricated in China. Have you been there? The days of made in China being the mark of a cheap low quality product are gone. Companies out in Asia have a hell of a lot more expertise in Carbon Fibre fabrication that the likes of small bike manufacturers in Europe.

I've just ordered a Cervelo which I believe are made in factories in China or Taiwan. The reason I chose a Cervelo over the likes of a Colnago was that the design that goes into Cervelo seems to be much more thorough, as an engineer myself I appreciate this. Maybe you like the notion that you frame has been carefully handcrafted in Italy, some people like that and I have nothing against it. But at the end of the day I just want something that is well designed and rides well, hence I chose the Cervelo.

Yes, I have been to Taiwan and to China. I won't be buying any bicycle frames or components made there any time soon. If the environmental and labour issues don't bother you, think of recent news regarding Chinese products: poisonous toothpaste and pet food, tainted sea food, dangerous car tyres, endless counterfeit goods. The next industrial revolution is supposedly to come with the advent of nano engineering, and the revolution in composites from that promises much. Suffice to say that the R&D for this is not likely to come from the far east, no matter how inexperienced our quaint little boutique industries in Europe are.

More importantly; Taiwan is popular as a source of goods because it is cheap to make things there. If there was any advantage to making frames there I'm sure Colnago and Trek would be making (getting made) all their frames there, and not just the lower-end stuff. How can Cervelo, Ridley and all the others justify their frame pricing if they manufacture there? Or is it that cyclists are gullible?
  • rohloff-rich
    rohloff-rich Posts: 232
    I agree with pliptrop having had a Chinese made Ti frame fail on me
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • grimpeur
    I am an electronics engineer and work in the semiconductor business doing IP design. I work daily with engineers from China. I would much rather work with them than colleagues in America or other parts of mainland Europe as they are generally better educated and have a better attitude. Your description of China and Asia in general as some sort of backwater is bother insulting and ignorant. Asian companies lead the way in composite design and manufacture.

And yes cyclists are gullible, Colnago, De Rosa and others exploit this when they try to convince you that your bike frame has added value because it was made in Europe.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Insulting? Yes. Ignorant? No. The facts speak for themselves. China has an unenviable record of intellectual property theft, counterfeiting and poor quality. I understand now why you keep banging on about ICs from China, but that bears no comparison with cycle manufacture, as you well know.

If, for no other reason than to see the environmental vandalism that China visits on the world each day, go and live in Beijing for a year. With all those well educated people you mention. I must admit; I see your wind-up on that one.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,130
    grimpeur wrote:
    And yes cyclists are gullible, Colnago, De Rosa and others exploit this when they try to convince you that your bike frame has added value because it was made in Europe.
    If Chinese made bikes are so superior, and those who buy Italian made bikes gullibe, how come you've just paid Colnago/De Rosa prices for a Cervelo frame made, if I'm not mistaken, in the Far East?

Seems there are quite a few gullible people around!
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    grimpeur wrote:
    . Companies out in Asia have a hell of a lot more expertise in Carbon Fibre fabrication that the likes of small bike manufacturers in Europe..

That sounds like reverse snobbery to me. Colnago have been making carbon fibre frames for over twenty years....admitedly they got a little help from Ferrari....a small car manufacturer in Europe.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano