Getting into the sport?

Snowblind
Snowblind Posts: 75
edited July 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hey all!

A friend of mine at uni is into downhilling and someone I've met back at home enjoys it too so I'm looking to get into the sport and hopefully have a bit of fun doing it. Only extreme sport I've done before is skiing really.

I reckon I could probably spend up to £400 or £500 on a bike. So from doing a bit of research I have found out that I cannot buy a good full sus bike for under £1000 really which is fair enough. I can appreciate that and do not intend to try and be the exception to prove the rule.

This begs the question then, do I buy a brand new hardtailed bike within my budget? Or do I try and acqure a well maintained 2-3 year old bike from somewhere such as ebay that is within my budget, but worth more when it was first built?

At the moment I'm thinking that the ebay or similar option is something worth persuing and would give me a pretty decent above average bike for a beginner.

From looking at these forums I've read that something such as a Kona Stinky from 2004 or something similar would be a nice purchase and could possibly come within my budget?

Some help would be appreciated. If I'm completely wrong please tell me since to be honest I'm out of my depth here, don't know where to begin.

Thanks.

[EDIT] By the way my inside leg is about 32" so would I be right in thinking that a 17-19" frame would suit me?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    on your budget you will be second hand what ever you get.

the classified on http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php will be a good place to look.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Personally I would go for a hardtail, within your budget you would get a good brand new bike (with lbs backup etc), & it would be beneficial to learn on a hardtail & maintenance should be easier
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • Snowblind
    Snowblind Posts: 75
    Well I ended up buying an Orange Ms-Isle with the following spec:

16" FRAME

MICHELIN TYRES ON SUN DITCH WITCH WHEELS AND SHIMANO HUBS

MARZOCCHI Z1 BOMBER FORKS

FSA PIG HEADSET

ORANGE STEM WITH NEW FIRE EYE BARS.

HOPE MONO MINI BRAKES (F + R)

FSA SIDEWINDER CRANK ARMS

BLACKSPIRE CHAINRING

DMR V8 PEDALS

TIOGA SEAT

XT REAR MECH WITH SRAM SX7 DOUBLE THUMB SHIFTER

I paid £360 for it. I've been advised to add a chain guard to it which I'll do when I next get paid. Reviews of Ms-Isles seem to be pretty good so hopefully it'll be a good first bike. Will let you know how I get on.