Sweaty Head!!!

ian baptiste
ian baptiste Posts: 43
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
ok, bit embarrassing!!! :oops:

when im on a long hot ride, as everyone, i get sweaty! and after buying some new Oakley M Frames, i have been dissapointed in the amount of sweat they attract!!! my old pair of shades, some specialized ones, didnt really have this problem! and its really annoying!!!

despite slapping a load of vaseline on my forehead, is there anything i can do!?

perhaps my helmet pads are a bit sh!te, even though they have only recently been replaced, i only have a front pad right in the front middle of my helmet!

Comments

• bwoody
    bwoody Posts: 14
    Im not a roady, but what about a buff http://www.buffusa.com/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Wear a headband or bandana - they soak up the sweat and stop it running in your eyes
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139
    another vote for buffs - if you don't go with a helmet you can fold as a bandana, but they work just as well as a beanie under a helmet. They make a huge difference on all but the nastiest hills...
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Only until they become saturated and then you're back to square one.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I used to suffer from this problem but got a headband thingy from Parrot (are they still going??). It a bit of cloth that ties at the back really but does a good job.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    old style cycling cap (with small peak) worn under a h*lm*t

soaks up the sweat and it drips off the front of the peak away from the sunglasses.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Pantani-style bandana, with or without helmet. Shaving your head is likewise optional.
  • Cesii
    Cesii Posts: 22
    You could take a spare, change at the traffic light and use one of those strechy terry cloth thingies?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    I see elephants
    Pimp my Duchamp
  • sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139

They tend to wick away mositure very effectively, so even once they become wet (like when you're climbing a hill) it only takes a couple of minutes of riding on the flat or downhill to stop any sweat escaping onto your face....

this from someone who is generally a very sweaty person :oops:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I sweat alot but my helmet pads seem to be able to soak it all up.

When I put my helmet down, I forget about the sweaty pads, and this happens everyday. When it rains I taste a really strong salt solution streaming down my face, took me a while to work out that it was the sweat from the pads.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    I am a sweaty bald guy and use these http://store.haloheadband.com/halo_II_pullover_s/9.htm
    they're great and posting from the USA doesn't get VAT or added tax if you only buy a couple.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    i sweat like an angry donkey as well. here's a tip: not all helmets are the same. some have far more venting than others. i currently have a specialized decibel and think the venting is outstandingly good. in particular it has a huge mouth like vent at the forehead that, combined with the pads, stops sweat pouring down into the face. The other day I switched to my Giro Pneumo and couldn't believe how much more sweat was rushing down into the fizzog!
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Bare head, cropped hair. Sorted.

What's the vaseline for? :shock:
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757

Nah... coz you have a much greater surface area for the sweat to go to, it wicks the sweat away from your head and evaporates. The added benefit is there is a cooling effect.

I don't have a buff, but I have a few similar technical wicking fabric sorta headgear deals. Seeing how it's Winter down here atm, my fav is an ultra-thin merino beanie. Funny thing is tho, it's also great when it's hot! Wicks the sweat away and helps it evaporate to keep you cool.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • pigman
    pigman Posts: 76
    I sympathise as I have the same problem.
    Can't wear glasses as they become foggy and misted/ then dangerous as I can't see through them.
    Helmet is always wet, even in winter. Headband works in that it stops the sweat getting in eyes, but is soaking wet and after a cafe stop, don't feel like putting it back on.
    Fraid to say, i've resigned myself to the AndyGates method above, even though I think about safety and wife and kids each time i go out.
  • on the road
    The problem with me is I don't ride slow anywhere :wink:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Another vote for headbands here. Your local bike shop should have a decent supply of them and they're quite cheap so pick up a couple. I've got a buff as well but always found them a bit cumbersome in summer so a simple sweat band is more appropriate for me.
  • Greenbank wrote:
    old style cycling cap (with small peak) worn under a h*lm*t

soaks up the sweat and it drips off the front of the peak away from the sunglasses.

And it keeps your head cool as it gets wet from the sweat then the air flowing through your helmet cools your head - did it for the first time today and it was a revelation! 8)
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The Pneumo is pretty good helmet for venting -I've had one for a couple of years and just the pads alone do a good job of soaking sweat (and I pour with it when the weather warms up), but the Spesh Decibel must be really good - I just don't like the rear end of the Spesh models at the moment. :(
  • one of my former club mates had the same problem he over came this by using one of his wifes erm, panty liners (man hole covers), (the ones with out wings) stuck to the front inside of his helmet they aparentley lock away moisture leaving you felling fresh allday. ive never tried it but he swore by it.
  • on the road
    I assume he used a clean one? :lol:
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    I assume he used a clean one? :lol:

:lol::lol: Dear oh dear !!. :lol::lol:
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • ricadus wrote:
    Pantani-style bandana, with or without helmet. Shaving your head is likewise optional.

I have this problem too, I'm a baldy, it's not the answer.
    unless you want to be a babe magnet like me :D

I find that if I squeeze the sweat out of the helmet pad it's better.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • They look just the job Keith G thanks for the link...ordered up a couple of the halo 2's
    thanks
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    In the same vein... if my helmet straps are getting a bit well skanky... what's the best way to spruce them up?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Didn't someone post on here recently that they take their helmet in the shower with them (bike helmet before anyone asks?!?!? :twisted: ) , place it upside down and let the soapy water clean it

Sure it was someone from somewhere slightly warmer than the UK.... they swore by it!!!