Cycling Out of the Olympics?

Monty Dog
Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
edited July 2007 in Pro race
Seems that a few folks in WADA and the IOC have a grudge against cycling, saying that it should be withdrawn from the Olympics and replaced with something like softball - yes softball, the same sport (well baseball) where grown-up men have demonstrated systematic steroid abuse in their efforts to break the records. OK, so whilst we're at it, how about the athletic sprint events, where PE's are almost a pre-requisite and what about weightlifting?
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    On cyclingnews it's reported that this was a solo run by a member of the IOC and not only did he want softball included but also karate and rugby(!) as they are regarded as clean sports.

The IOC has issued a statement saying that there isn't an issue and that the current rash of positives shows that the testing is working.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Perhaps they should scrap the 100m what with the joint world record holder failing a drugs test last year...they could replace it with darts.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I always thought they should have dumped the road races instead of the kilo and 500 metre sprints.

The Olympic road circuits are hardly interesting and the races become like processions for most of the events.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The 2008 road circuit sounds awesome though. Like a really hilly classic.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Max Weber
    Max Weber Posts: 183
    I always thought they should have dumped the road races instead of the kilo and 500 metre sprints.

Definitely. I retain the belief that Olympics should be the pinnacle of any sport involved and therefore wouldn't miss the road race at all, whereas the kilo seems to be exactly the kind of thing that the Olympics should celebrate. (Incidentally, for the same reason I'd ditch Olympic tennis, football and other events which the participants don't care about enough).
  • K Blackwell
    K Blackwell Posts: 1,539
    Presume they will ban athletics as well. Justin Gatlin, Balco et al.

Latest is that in the last month 6 athletes have returned positives including Ceplak the 800m female champion.

What a surprise!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    ricadus wrote:

The Olympic road circuits are hardly interesting and the races become like processions for most of the events.
    Are you mad? :x The road race has always been part of the Olympic cycling program. It's also one of the few events that is free to watch and can attract an enormous crowd.

If they are going to drop any road event it should be the men and women's time trials. Who really cares about them?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    andyp wrote:
    ricadus wrote:

Are you mad? :x The road race has always been part of the Olympic cycling program. It's also one of the few events that is free to watch and can attract an enormous crowd.

If they are going to drop any road event it should be the men and women's time trials. Who really cares about them?

You really hate time trials don't you?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Timoid. wrote:
    It's an important part of bike racing but they are a) dull to watch (and ride) and b) make no sense in isolation, i.e. when not part of a stage race.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    It's an important part of bike racing but they are a) dull to watch (and ride) and b) make no sense in isolation, i.e. when not part of a stage race.

How very dare you.

What if they're on an A road. With traffic. At 6 in the morning.

:D

I agree btw. The world TT title is a waste of space.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.