Correct stem height?

Shadescp
Shadescp Posts: 34
edited July 2007 in Workshop
hi,

I recently bought a Cannondale Caad8 bike. When comparing this new bike to my "old" bike there's a massive difference in the stem height, the Cannondale being much higher, consequently the handle-bars are higher and my riding position more upright. The old bike was built by a local bike shop. Other than that the 2 bikes are identical in size ( 52cm).

The Cannondale definitely feels more comfy, hence the purchase. Looking back I wonder if that old bike was doing me some harm as i have had knee and back problems and never really understood the cause. :roll: Guess time will tell.

How important is stem height. Any rough guide as to how high it should be?

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Stem height is dictated - to a large degree - by rider height. After that you should generally tweak it a few mm here and there for comfort.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It depends - for touring and general riding about, stem height is usually about level with the saddle. For racing and more competitive riding, then 2-4" below the height of the saddle is normal - much lower and you may find your thighs bumping against your chest and restricting your breathing. Some TT'ers have as big a drop as possble, but it depends how flexible you are. You said you had some lower back problems, which could be attributed to inflexibility/too low handlebars.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..