Flat or Riser Bars

shivadread
shivadread Posts: 110
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
I have done a search on the forum for the advantages and disadvantages of flat bars over riser bars but have found nothing.
Thinking of putting riser bars on my second bike which I will be mainly be using to commute to work and maybe the odd Singletrack.
My main question is does it make any difference to the steering of the bike down Singletracks.

Comments

• Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    There isnt really any advantages/diadvantages as far as i can see, for AM or DH it tends to be riser bars so that you are in a more upright position which gives you better control over the bike. on XC flat bars tend to be the choice as it puts you in more of a racing posture.

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • What matters is where your grips are relative to the steerer. Whether they get there via, say, a low stem and a riser or a high stem and a flat bar is immaterial as far as handling goes.
    John Stevenson
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    A decent flat bar is going to be stronger than a riser bar made to the same standard. Less bends = greater strength.

Most flat bars aren't wide enough for most people. Salsa make the Pro Moto flat bar which is a decent lenght.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Risers have different degrees of 'rise' - Easton have low, mid and high for example. A 'low rise riser' (probably the wrong name) would be a decent compromise. A flat bar is OK but may put people off if you ever re-sell, as risers are more popular. I'd try a low rise Easton EA50 - lightweight aluminium and good value.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.