My girlfriend and I are going cycling advice needed please

RyanBrook
RyanBrook Posts: 195
edited July 2007 in Women
We have decided on a cycling holiday next month possibly to the Italian Alpi, French Alps or pyrennees. I have done this type of thing before but my girlfriend hasnt done much cycling. She is fit and active and goes to the gym three times a week. I tested her V02 max the other day and she was 42 which is decent.

Do you think she will be capable of the trip with only a months cycling specific training?
Also I need some advice on female touring bikes and what you recommend.

Im hoping my Trek 1500 Alu will be Ok to take panniers though I need to check this out.

If anyone has done a trip similar to this advice is welcomed.

I did a month in France and the alps a couple of years ago so I wouldnt mind trying Italy.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You may be better off posting this in the health and fitness section. Cycling uses different muscle groups, and it will depend how much you plan to do each day.
  • daubechie
    daubechie Posts: 6
    A holiday where you have to do a minimum distance to get to the next hotel can be really tough. I think you should go for a day long bike ride: if you cycle 40 miles and your girlfriend can make a cup of tea and eat some dinner when you get home then you are probably good to go. However, if you only manage 8 miles and keep stopping and need a lie down when you get home then you probably need to think again! She may be very fit but cycling muscles are very different to the muscles you build up doing aerobics - for example :o) Likely she will be great though and it will be reassuring for you both to know that she can cycle the distances at home that she will be doing on holiday.

You are right - the bike is really crucial, if it doesn't quite fit then she will be at a disadvantage straight away - like hiking in someone else's shoes - best to get fitted at your local bike shop - and most likely your girlfriend will want a women specific design bike. Assuming that you're on road all the time then any tourer perhaps audax would do - best ask someone who'se done that route or similar - I think it's another forum!

Good luck!