Venice to Prague (Ping Hairy Jock)

rparkes
rparkes Posts: 120
edited July 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hello HJ,
You may recall giving me advice on avoiding the Grossglockner in Austria (searched for previous topic, 18/04/07, without success) and I promised to let you know how we got on.
The day that we had to decide in Lienze turned out to be warm and sunny so we decided to go for it and I am so glad that we did. About 10k from Lienze there was an unexpected col at Iselsberg rising to 1200m with 10% sections, the road then loses height rapidly into a superb high valley at Winklern (coffee and cakes). This valley follows the river for about 20k, climbing slowly through beautiful alpine farmland with ever closing views of the snowclad Grossglockner range. At Heiligenblut the real climb of 20k begins to the summit col at Edelweisspitze at 2571m. Before this there is a false col at Hochtor, through a tunnel and a substantial descent to 2200m leading you to think it's all over. No chance! There were sections at 13% and 18% some of which we walked. Lots of snow at the top and a temperature circa 2/3deg C. The descent to the Salzach river at Bruch a. d. Gr was fast and furious made more so by the rear loaded panniers.
Overall our route was Venice-Oderzo-Gemona- Tolmezzo over the Plockenpass into Austria, then Lienze- Grossglockner-Zell am Zee-Bischofshofen- Hallein and via the Salzburg lakes to Ried in Innkries. Onwards north to cross the Danube at Niederranna and then via Aigen to the Czech border and over the Lipno river by ferry. Finally along the cycle ways via Cesky Krumlov, Tyn nad Vitavou, Tabor to Prague. Total distance 550 miles. All along good food good digs and and an unforgettable experience. Thanks for your help
Roger

Age is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

I think the northwards descent from the Grossglockner as you went one of the most stunningly picturesque I know in the Alps. I hope you noticed it in your 'fast and furious'.
  • rparkes
    rparkes Posts: 120
    Yes, I did manage a tight lipped look around and agree- superb. I would have liked a more relaxed descent but we were running late and needed to sort out B&B. The run down the valley from Bruch to Zell-am -See on the old road was also a perfect end to the day, looking back to the huge wall of mountains which we had crossed
    Roger

Age is mandatory, growing up is optional.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Good to hear that you enjoyed it :D have you got any photos?
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.