navigation

danieldwashere
danieldwashere Posts: 13
edited July 2007 in Tour & expedition
i taking maps and a compass on my first long term tour.

is it worht getting a cycle computer for navigation? i dont really care how far/fast/ i go or how many times my wheels turn. :roll:

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    A computer can help you navigate if you know the distance to important junctions / turns. On day rides I have used mapmyride to plan the ride then print out the route instructions (it records every turn with exact mileage), and I have found it dead easy to follow a route without even using a map. On long term tours you are unlikely to be using mapmy ride, but you may have a map (like the Sustrans / NCN maps for UK) that have mile markers.

With a more "broad brush" approach, it is useful to know how far you have travelled compared with your target and can help you revise how far you intend to go in the day given the average speeds you actually achieve.

Its one more bit of information (in addition to the map, landmarks, maybe compass info) to help locate where you are.
  • hmmm, does sound usefull.

i was trying to avoid buying a expsensive gadget that i might not need but....
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    well you can get a wired computer very cheaply - anything from £5 ish (ASDA!) - my friend has one and it has worked faultlessly for a year now. Spending a bit more gets you better ergonomics (buttons / menus / mountings), more functions, and larger, clearer displays. More money still gets you wireless (analogue or digital) - not always foolproof though.

I have 2 VDO wireless computers (an older analogue and a recent digital), I love their displays as they are large and clear and can show about 4 things at once (time, speed, pace against average, trip mileage, for example):
    VDC2DS.jpg

My analogue has just gone loopy after 4 years use, but I discovered VDO have a 5 year warranty so I expect a new one FOC shorty.

Having raved about VDO they are not so popular, most people seem to favour Cateye, but I am put off that brand because of disintegrating light mountings I have had and poor after sales / warranty service experience with them.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    This is probably going to be controversia,l but I'd consider getting a GPS (to take in addition to the map and compass). You can get a basic GPS secondhand off eBay for the sort of prices you'd pay for a top-of-the-range cycle computer, and the GPS is IME more useful.

I find the altitude readout is very helpful in telling me how much climbing I still have to do before I get to the top. A GPS is useful to have as insurance for times you get hopelessly hopelessly lost.

I'd recommend a basic yellow eTrex or a Venture (which has a minimalist mapping function), you would also need to buy a Garmin bike mount.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    alfablue wrote:
    Having raved about VDO they are not so popular, most people seem to favour Cateye, but I am put off that brand because of disintegrating light mountings I have had and poor after sales / warranty service experience with them.

VDO are great, provided that you don't twist them in the wrong direction when taking then off the bike, as my wife did to mine :cry:

Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.