Drumochter Cycle Route

Peter Main
Peter Main Posts: 60
edited August 2007 in Tour & expedition
For Information

Drumochter Cycle Route

Earlier this year I caught the train from Pitlochry and cycled home via Drumochter. I was appalled at the poor condition of the cycle route and it was clear to me that since the route was built about seven years ago no maintenance of any sort had taken place. As some of you may know I was a Volunteer ranger for the route but resigned in 2002 out a frustration and the lack of co-operation of the authorities involved. I had thought after my ride earlier this year that a might try again to get something done about the route in order to save it from complete dereliction.

Then Badeguish Outdoor Centre proposed holding a mass participation cycling event that was to use the Drumochter Route and somehow I got involved. My idea was that that holding this even could be a catalyst/lever to get things done. The route has recently been ridden again and a report produced detailing the problems and possible solutions. This report can be seen on our website by going to www.highlandhostel.co.uk and clicking the sidebar marked ‘Drumochter Cycle Route. The report can also be downloaded from there as a PDF document.

I will be attending a meeting in early August with Alan Jones from Badeguish together with authorities involved and the hope is that at last something can be done to maintain and repair the route.
pete-the-bike

the idea is to die young as late as possible

Comments

• Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Thanks, that is really interesting. Given that Visit Scotland are promoting cycling in Scotland at present, maybe they should be made aware that this sort of thing give a negative impression for visitors. Then again Visit Scotland are pretty useless. You could try contacting Fergal MacErlean, he wrote the official guide to NCN7 and writes for The Herald, he might help you get some publicity at the national level. Hope I am not trying to teach to suck eggs here.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    Peter, I am a volunteer Sustrans ranger for further South on Rte 7 and can only say that there are regular litter picking and signage checks on this stretch of track, I did an organised session with 7 other rangers in May this year.
    I think the problem you describe is partly due to frost damage and a rather poor sub-base where weeds are growing through the track.
    It would need a major financial commitment to replace the worn sections of track and the route is perfectly passable but of poor quality (I ride 23mm tyres and do it easily enough) and does look neglected.
    I am sure you will keep pressing Sustran and the local council for the resources to maintain this important section of track and not just walk away in disgust.
  • Peter Main
    Thanks for your reply. Have you seen my pictures? I don't doubt a group of you did go along the track and pick up some litter which is good but not enough; we need a commitment from the authorities to do something if the track is to survive. I walked away in disgust in 2002 after trying to get something done about it. About that time I also met John Grimshaw when he was up here for a Sustrans Board meeting and he didn’t want to even acknowledge there were any problems and actually walked away from me when I tried to talk to him about it. The Sustrans management are only interested in creating new routes and then producing PR about what a wonderful organisation they are. Volunteer Rangers are all well and good in populous areas but that system doesn’t work here. Much more 'firepower' is needed to fix the Drumochter Track in particular.

As for 'ridable' on 23mm tyres' we will just have to disagree. Take a decent lightweight bike along the route and the minimum you'll get is a puncture.
    :P
    pete-the-bike

• fatfifer
    fatfifer Posts: 10
    I have just returned from an End 2 End where I used the route in question and I have to agree with the original post. The sufaces on some (fairly extended) sections were the worst of my whole E2E and I broke a rear spoke - fortunately with no other damage.
    This on a lightly loaded touring bike, a Raleigh Venture, with 28cm tires and I'm not really a fatty now despite my username. IMHO as it stands at the moment this route is really only suitable for MTbs and unless something like a major overhaul is done soon it will deteriorate futher.
  • Peter Main
    Thanks for your contribution. I sometimes think I have complained too much and feel like a lone voice in the wilderness. So extra opinions are very welcome. I will keep this site posted if there are any developments.
    pete-the-bike

• It's a real shame that section is not being looked after. I used the route two years ago coming south and it really saved me as it was a truly horrendous day (50mph winds, rain, general mankiness) and there was no way I wanted to be on the A9. Even then I guess some of the old A9 sections had a fair bit of gravel on them but generally both road and track were in pretty good condition. Admittedly those bridges are a bit dodgy being set at an angle to the path but you only have to slow down a bit for them.
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!
  • KeithG
    Peter,
    I should have read your website first. It makes a lot of good points.
    I wonder how this situation can be improved?
    I will certainly bring it to the attention of the local sutrans rep both voluntary and employed.
  • Attended a meeting yesterday with various people who may (or may not) get something done. Most important was a man from Transerve (The Trunk Roads Authority) who not only admitted that the Drumochter Cycle Track was their responsibility but that there was a budget for fixing it, We shall see, my cynical self thinks there is a big gap between promises of action and the action that may or may not follow. I will keep you all posted if anything happens. I simply do not buy this line from Transerve that they, ’suddenly noticed’ a clause in the contact that requires them to look after the cycle route. More like the prodding from others and myself has helped them ‘suddenly notice’ this clause. Our local MSP Fergus Ewing has also asked to be kept informed, he has always been very helpful in the past.
    pete-the-bike

• KeithG
    Great, keep rattling their cages!
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    We use the route last year on an end 2 end. THe stretch over drumochter was the worst surface of the whole trip. In fact we even used the main road to descend into Dalwhinnie.
    The surface in my opinion is only fit for mountain bike/ heavy tyred machines. And I wouldn't recomend this route anymore.

Using this route made us sriously think whether sustrans and the like, act in the best interests of long distance routes, they need to convince me. We now tend to take any sustrans route advice with an extremley large pinch of salt.
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • murpheus
    murpheus Posts: 374
    That's a damn shame. I used the drumochter route in 2004 and found it to be excellent.
    Have fun,
    Ed.
  • sloe
    sloe Posts: 17
    I went south on it a few days ago. That section just south of the summit is atrocious for a kilometer or so - but the rest of it, scores of miles, is fine. If you're on pencil tyres you could just walk that wee bit.

It's a good route apart from being poorly signposted coming south out of Pitlochry. Had to ask a charming old gent in his garden who described the route ahead in great detail, said he directed cyclists frequently !!

Dont knock the whole route, it's fantastic that its there and keeps us off that busy road, and some of the views are absolutely splendid. I picked wild strawberries and got a bit close to an adder at the summit.

Recommend the truckers Grill at the south end of Newtonmore, everything a greasy spoon should be - it's even got showers.