Buying lights for the long winter nights... Best buys?

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,877
edited July 2007 in Workshop
I need to find something constructive to add to my saddle order (Toupe Gel) at Wiggle* to make use of the 20% off deal for orders over 100 squids, so I came up with lights over a computer (as much as I would love a HRM, I've no idea what functions I want to have available in the long term, plus I cannot afford both right now and my Felt is primarily a 'luxury' commuter right now)...

Would the "Cateye EL530 And LD1100 Light Set" be a good choice for effectively £48, or it there another combo I should consider?

* I am open to ordering from another store if the overall price is right (inc. delivery)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    SJS have these :-
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category.asp ... 8&sfile=1=
    and these :-
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-SJSC ... stem-MSRP-£59.95-12650.htm
    as well as others (and sometimes cheaper on Ebay).
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    Would the "Cateye EL530 And LD1100 Light Set" be a good choice for effectively £48, or it there another combo I should consider?

* I am open to ordering from another store if the overall price is right (inc. delivery)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

Geargurl on EBay is probably the cheapest source of Cateye lights.
    The EL530 has its fans, I bough and sold one, wasn't impressed with the beam, very bright small centre spot, fairly weak outside that.
    The LD1100 is very bright, as bright as two lights, IMO you'd be better off with two lights.

If you don't mind the weight and run times, those Yorkshireman links would take some beating on value.
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    I wouldn't buy another Cateye light. They work well enough, but the construction is generally flimsy and the brackets are made of cheese. Fine if you don't mind picking it up off the road on a regular basis....

The Smart 1/2 watt is a wicked tail light - tiny, weighs nothing, seriously bright, stays where you put it.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Another vote for the Smart 1/2 Watt tail lamp. Great little lamp.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think the best buy at the moment is the Dinotte Ultra 5w LED which has £50 off at £85 from On-One / Planet-X

It was even better last weekend when I ordered mine as delivery was free!

The light is really tiny but really bright! Beats my 10w halogen, and should run for about 3 hours with 4xAA NIMH
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,159
    alfablue wrote:
    I think the best buy at the moment is the Dinotte Ultra 5w LED which has £50 off at £85 from On-One / Planet-X

It was even better last weekend when I ordered mine as delivery was free!

The light is really tiny but really bright! Beats my 10w halogen, and should run for about 3 hours with 4xAA NIMH
    Seconded. A great light and, at that price, supreme value.
  • rohloff-rich
    rohloff-rich Posts: 232
    I'd go for a USE Exposure Joystick as it's an awesome unit that's all in one so no need for battery packs etc. Very tidy, and very powerful.

However, the Dinoitte's from On-One do look like a good alternative.
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    The Smart tail light is awesomely bright and much lighter than that huge CatEye depth-charge thing - I've seen the sheer weight of thoses fling them from their brackets.

Front lights, go for a rechargeable. In your budget, at this time of year, you ought to be able to find a 10W halogen on a lead-acid battery.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Yet another vote for the Smart 1/2 watt rear. Top lightweight light.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes, owned both the huge cateye and the smart - the Smart is a better light, much more reliable, just as bright, better run time, can clip onto a jersey pocket and smaller and cheaper than the cateye.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    edited July 2007

I have these and can recommend them. I noticed a huge difference in the space/reaction I got from drivers as soon as I put them on my bike.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,877
    Could I ask you to confirm that this is the Smart 0.5W rear light that some of you are recommending?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=16534

The Dinotte front light looks tempting, as I cycle along a 50mph carriageway and on one of the busiest main roads in Southampton during my commute! It does feel strange spending £85 on a light though.

The only thing that concerns me right now is either finding something else to go with the Toupe Gel saddle from Wiggle (£71) to get the order over £100 (for the 20% discount to be applied), or finding another e-shop with a competitve Toupe Gel price...
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • i've got the light set you mention. the back is brilliant in all senses of the word. the front which i used on our clubs 200 miles in 24 hours ride wasn't quite what i was expecting and i used it together with a dynamo light.
    it gives a good very bright light but is very focused and was only about 2feet diamter on the road at the distace i'd set it to.it was plenty bright enough to ride by but i prefer something that lights up more of the road , which is where the dynamo light came in.
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Yes thats the one nitrousoxide
    Could I ask you to confirm that this is the Smart 0.5W rear light that some of you are recommending?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=16534