Calling all Glasgow Cyclists!

Elskippy
Elskippy Posts: 35
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm after some advice (again!).I've just moved to Glasgow from a tiny wee village in Dumfries and Galloway. I'm so used to basically walking out my door and having a whole host af great, virtually car free, roads to choose from that I'm finding it hard to work out where i can train in Glasgow! I live in the Shawlands and would love some advice on decent routes I can use for an evening training ride during the week (2 hour rides or thereabouts). At the weekend I'm more than happy to chuck the bike in the car or spend a chunk of my time cycling out of the city but during the week i want to try and make the most of the time i have!

Ta!

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Hi Elskippy

I'm just over the hill from you, in Cathcart. I'm doing training rides of between 1-2 hour at the moment, although around midday (I usually work evenings). I can change that 1 night a week if you want and show you the area and best ways to get out of the city. I'd suggest going out around 6.30-7pm as that's when the rush hour finishes.
    PM me if you're interested.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Crapaud
    El Skippy - you have mail!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    edited July 2007
    If you head down Kilmarnock Road and out towards Newton Mearns, you can branch out into some of the country roads and get away from it all. There is some nice scenery and some climbs about to test you for an hour or two and the best part of it is that from where you are in Glasgow, it is all on your doorstep no more than a 15 minutes cycle away. Towards Paisley, you have Glennifer Brae, a nasty little climb you'll need to try :o .

On weeknights from Shawlands, I used to head out into the country towards the likes of Stewarton, Neilston, Uplawmoor and Lugton before turning back, on occassions via Barrhead.

I'm sure Crapaud will keep you right!!!

Good Luck.
  • davidmckin
    davidmckin Posts: 15
    I've just started road cycling, so I won't be much use to you, but I'll be watching this thread with interest for some route ideas!
    I've been heading out from Clydebank towards Strathblane and Carbeth, which has been fun so far.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    davidmckin,

Go to the 'Routes & Riding' tab at the top of this page and you can enter details of where you want routes and the type required. I'm sure others will give more comprehensive info but it is a start.
  • Crapaud
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    On weeknights from Shawlands, I used to head out into the country towards the likes of Stewarton, Neilston, Uplawmoor and Lugton before turning back, on occassions via Barrhead.
    I was down that way this morning. :D

Start-Hampden--> up Clarkston Rd to Eaglesham--> right over the moor road (B764) to the (old) A77--> left, along the cycle path--> right onto the B778 to Stewarton--> then back on the B769 to Newton Mearns and home. 35 miles.

If I can work out how to put it on the 'Routes & Riding' I will.
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    davidmckin wrote:
    I've just started road cycling, so I won't be much use to you, but I'll be watching this thread with interest for some route ideas!
    I've been heading out from Clydebank towards Strathblane and Carbeth, which has been fun so far.

I tend to go to Strathblane then to the Carpark at the top of the Crow Rd turn round and then head back down to Clydebank, worth a ride up if you have not been there David. works out 30miles for me.

A nice one for yourself Elskippy some of the best places to cycle in and and around Glasgow I am sure most would agree might be just over 35 round trip for yourself Elskippy from Shawlands.