what kind of bike should i look for?

humeyovblyth
humeyovblyth Posts: 51
edited July 2007 in MTB general
what kind of bike should i look for? for a begginer

Comments

• Thantos
    Thantos Posts: 533
    There are so many mountain biking disciplines.
    You have to decide what type of terrain you want to be riding.
    Also, we need to know how much money you have to spend before we can make any suggestions.
  • well about 200 250 ish and any aslong as it is good :!:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • well ino but it in diffrent sections and i want opinions in each section
  • Thantos
    That maybe so, but the rules clearly state that you should only post in one section.
    Imagine if everyone posted topics on the same subject in each section. The forum would be impossible to navigate and look dreadful aswell.
    Also, you might want to think about tightening your criteria for a bike.
    If you want a bike that will do a bit of everything, you should say so rather than post individual questions in different sections.

Assuming that you do want a bike for every purpose, and taking into consideration your limited budget, it is probably best to buy 2nd hand from Ebay or one of the forums. i would stick with a Hardtail as you will get more for your money. Have a look for a Specialized Hardrock from 2004/2005. That should suit you quite well.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well ino but it in diffrent sections and i want opinions in each section

so for a general mtb you will get one sugestion.

for a jumping you will get another.

for XC you will get a 3rd etc......

also you say no price, what you want to do with it etc....

OK you have 200-250 to spend.

and you have a bmx and a shockwave .... use the bmx for jumping and get the shockwave fixed as 200-250 with just get you more crud.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thantos
    With the current influx of this type of user, you can tell it must be school holiday time. :(
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Best thing to do would be to go to the beginners section and read some of the existing threads. Gather some info, and make more specific posts.
  • Thantos
    edited July 2007
    In the nicest possible way, he doesn't appear to have the IQ to make any sort of constructive post or decision.
  • lol can you cut my mate some slack this is the first forum hes used and hes also just new to biking, i think what he meant to say is which bike would be best for each profession.
  • Thantos
    lol can you cut my mate some slack this is the first forum hes used and hes also just new to biking, i think what he meant to say is which bike would be best for each profession.

Why?
    Everyone else on here has to adhere to the forum rules. Why should he be allowed to flout them?
  • jeez like i said hes new he didnt even know there were forum rules whats up his ass
  • Thantos
    I take your point, he is new, he has to get used to it.
    However, common sense should/would dictate that it's sensible to use English and to know what sort of riding you want to be doing.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Do you not think you're being a bit harsh mate?

I suspect this is why a lot of people come here, check it out, and then leave... never to return.

Fair enough rules are in place and they should be adhered to but there needs to be some leway for people new to the forum and indeed new to biking. Especially younger people who can usually do with some positive encouragement.

Instead it seems like the standard response is to jump down their throat and bark orders at them. On a fourm still trying to find it's feet I dont think that is the best approach, although I do understand where you're coming from. Maybe just a little more tact is required?

Also, as someone who I assume has been using forums like this for a while, you should know that no one ever reads stickies and pointing someone in the direction of a locked sticky doesnt really help with conversation.

I mean no disrespect by any of that btw so please dont take offence.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Thantos
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I mean no disrespect by any of that btw so please dont take offence.

None taken. 8)
    Having been part of the MBUK forum, it was commonplace to see this sort of topic all the time. It got to the point where it became tiring sifting through the junk to get to decent posts. Therefore, it was beneficial (to myself anyway. thats my selfish arrogant side coming through :wink: ) to disuade them from making the same mistakes again as quickly as possible.
    That still doesn't give me the right to be angry, i know.
    Sorry Killer Cheese and friends. :P
  • thank you killer cheese and citzen lee for defendeing me and its ok thantos