Polar Heart Rate Monitor

caissad
caissad Posts: 59
edited July 2007 in Workshop
I recently bought a Polar CS400 Heart Rate Monitor. Although I can get some interesting data from it manually, it seems that I need an infra red interface to be able to download to my PC the more detailed information that is recorded.

The Polar Infra Red interface retails for around £34. Is it worth this extra outlay to get all the recorded data available for viewing? ... or is it not much more than the data available manually ?

I did buy an interface for £2.99 (inclusive of postage and packing) but that seems to have been a waste of money because it has failed to pick up the Polar data. Presumably this wouldn't happen if I had the more expensive Polar own-brand interface?

For the moment I'm getting whatever data I can manually and recording this on an Excel spreadsheet.

Comments

• I bought the IR interface and it makes everything so much easier. It means you get the most out of the software(which you have paid for as part of the cost of your HRM).

If you want to get the most from your training I'd recommend getting it. You get good graphing and full stats from your ride. Summary stats for your intervals are *very* helpful.

If you've got a PDA(pocket PC) with infra red interface then you could get MySport Polar software to upload your data to. Once on your PDA you can quite easily export it to the Polar software. MySport Polar is very handy for use when you're on a cycling holiday or away for the weekend, etc. MySport Polar might be cheaper than the IR interface.
  • caissad
    caissad Posts: 59
    Thanks Technobuddhist.

This evening I did manage to get the Infrared interface to work and have been able to download the data: It was certainly worth doing as there is definitely more information available.

Looking forward to getting out on the bike now to build up more data!!
  • Nice one!

Since buying it, my HRM has been with me for virtually every mile I've done on my bike. It's like my helmet I never forget and it's 2nd nature to use it.

Looking back at my previous graphs and data I never pushed myself much beyond 70%. Over the past month I'm consistently higher for my tempo rides(78-83%). I just summarised my power output from my Tacx turbo and just in the last 4 1/2 weeks my power output has gone up 30 watts. I'm generating 30 watts more at 70% by training at 78-83% MHR.

Stick with it and make the investment in the HRM count.