Focus Cayo

mw336
mw336 Posts: 26
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Does anyone have one of these? was thinking about a Focus or a Planet X.
Would love to hear what you think.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• maxbass
    maxbass Posts: 64
    I have focus cayo expert and can't really fault it, its a comfortable ride and goes when i want it to - great spec and good value for money. i will look nto upgrading the wheelset in time as the FSA's on mine are not good in cross winds .
    Can't comment on Planet x but from what i've read they are great on customer service.
  • beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    I've had a focus cayo expert for a couple of weeks now. I'm really pleased with it. It seems well equiped and good value for money. It comes well put together but I'll probably get it checked out by the LBS after a month or so
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • I haven't but one of my mates has and reckons its one of the best value for money bikes available, the focus that is...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
  • Hi

I've the standard, non-expert cayo. Its my first road bike for 15 years (coming from the mtb side of things); its a little bit lighter than my last road bike - reynolds 501 (couldnt afford 531 :) ) and suntour mech.

I dont have much to compare it with, but im really happy with it - its comfy enough for 30 miles without any discomfort (apart from lungs and legs...), you can feel rough surfaces but not in a vibey way and the kit is better than any bike I could find at a comparable price (ultegra, while some of the big names have £900 bikes with tiagra). Its too good for me really but i sold a race car and a motorbike, so was happy to spend some cash on a new toy.

I dont there are bike measurably better at the price - maybe bikes that better suit your style, needs, etc - if you want a better frame with lower spec components, something with more extreme or more relaxed geometry, etc, but i cant see anyone being disappointed if they're after a general purpose race bike

jon
  • sibx
    sibx Posts: 102
    I've had the Cayo Expert (06 model) since October last year, and I instantly fell in love with it.

It wasn't just the components you get for the price, it was the geometry that was perfect for me. I like the short wheelbase and the short back-end. It really has an amazing kick when you're accelerating and is sharp and responsive when cornering.

Having said that, the Planet X bikes do also get rave reviews as well, and you can get a full Ultegra build for £999 at the minute. The geometry looks quite similar on their bikes as well.

As someone else mentioned, the weakest part of both the Focus and Planet X bikes will be the wheels. Aside from maybe changing the saddle if you don't get on with what is supplied or don't have one you already like, the wheels would be the best thing to change when you want to splash some more money on it :wink:
  • fechman
    fechman Posts: 19
    jHI
    I've ust taken delivery of my cayo triple this week WOW :D:D:D -opted for the triple due to t he price £864 its an absolute cracker done bout 150 miles already this week alone and cant fault it , CRACKING BIKE , CRACKING PRICE I JUST NEED TO GET FITTER

C