How much profit do bike shops make from us?

kema
kema Posts: 46
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
If I buy say a specialized allez from a bike shop for £500 how much profit are they making from us?

I would just like to know :twisted:

cheers

Kembo
Kema , Manchester

Hybrid Marin and Specialized Allez triple

Comments

• starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    They paid about £300.

If you got a bike that fitted you and some advice it was a bargain and the mark up is less than you paid on a tuna and sweetcorn from m&s. 8)
  • mascott
    mascott Posts: 190
    i was lucky enough to get a "cost price" specialized sequoia with upgraded components for £350 so I guess the retailers are getting 100% but as above, you are paying for the expertise and building. Plus at the end of the day if they arent making money then they dont carry on on the high street and we are left with halfrauds and the internet.
    Personally I dont mind paying high street prices for some bits and internet prices for others.
  • I inadvertantly came into the posession of a trade price catalog.

Trade price seems to be generally 50-60% of retail. They also get 5-10% depending on quantity ordered. Obvioulsy this works in favour of mail order as they will typically get to the volumes required whereas high street will not (have u ever seen your small high street retailer with 20 Giro various helmets in stock)