Which shoes??

Orlando Trustfull
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

Im a road newbie and have acquired (by means of inheritance) an almost new road bike with Shimano SPD SL R540 pedals,

Im normally a mountain bike rider but have been considering trying road riding for a while now so now iv got the means im going to give it a crack. Iv never used Clip in pedals before only toe clips on my MTB so am a complete clip in novice.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the best shoes to look for that are compatible with these pedals.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/index. ... 95&cid=230

They are what I've got, I'm a newbie roadie aswell so I bought the cheapest decent shoes that would fit me.

I've got really wide feet - size 8 length but size 10 width, so I find it hard to get shoes as it is, but nike suits my feet fine.

Whatever shoes you get remember to try them on in a shop!
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • if youve got wide feet try nike wide or Sidi which are thin anyway wides, check bikes and gear under shoes
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Sidi.
    I always have to get a size up, as said above, they are narrow.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    If you think you might consider putting clipless on your mountain bike once your used to using them on the road i'd think about swapping the pedals for mountain bike clipless pedals (something like the shimano M520) and buying performance mountain bike shoes (with a rigid unflexible base) This means that you'll be able to use the same pair of shoes for both bikes rather than having to buy 2 pairs (which you would have to if you went with a road shoe system)

You can use mountain bike systems on road bikes as long as the shoes sole is rigid as the pedal platform is smaller and you don't want to feel the pedal through the shoe. The other plus is that mtb pedals are double sided.

The only thing you lose is that the road pedals are lighter than the mtb ones.