Frome, Bath, Midsomer Norton/Radstock

stub74
stub74 Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in Routes
Just wondered if anyone is aware of any singletrack or downhill stuff around Frome, Bath, Midsomer Norton and Radstock?

I've been to Asham Woods near Frome but it's such a huge place that I don't think we really found what is supposedly there.. Just a couple of bits of singletrack through a part of the forest near the MotoX track and two huge quarries, got lost a bit and then went home..!

There's apparently loads of areas in Frome but just not sure where they are..

Would've thought there would be quite a few areas known in Bath as MBUK is in Bath.

I live in Midsomer Norton and there's a few places. Me and a few mates ride up to Clandown for a nice bit of rocky descent, then along the cycle path to the batch at Norton, try and attempt to ride up that, then ride down it... then back to the cycle path towards Paulton batch, get up to the plateau which has a few jumps on, then a nice decent all the way round the batch....

But if anyone know's of any decent trails, downhill or XC I would appreciate it....

Thanks
Stu

Comments

• giantkevb
    giantkevb Posts: 28
    Get yourself an OS map of the area and ride any bridleway/byway you want... plenty around in that area. A little route research can make the world of difference. Take the map with you when venturing out.
  • I'd second that-get the 1:25000 as it's somuch more detailed.Maybe a little googling too,and ask around in the LBSs.
    "With just a little luck
    A little cold blue steel
    I'll cut the night like a razor blade
    Till I feel the way I wanna feel"
    [Cheap Trick]
  • If it's DH trails you're after, its worth checking out the woods between Bath University up on Odd Down and Bathampton.

There's a decent selection of trails hidden away in there, along with the odd drop, gap dirt jump etc.

Definitely worth checking out! And if you need a guide one day...... :D
  • stub74 wrote:
    I've been to Asham Woods near Frome but it's such a huge place that I don't think we really found what is supposedly there.. Just a couple of bits of singletrack through a part of the forest near the MotoX track and two huge quarries, got lost a bit and then went home..!

For Asham, I'd suggest starting at Downhead. Bit of gravel and single track, then several routes through the woods, if you can find it, and its not overgrown there's some steepish downhill into the valley for the overflow waters of the active quarry. Carry on through to the big empty quarries and there's masses in there. Some steep trials bike climbs that are just about doable downhill - mostly short. Some longer bits through the northern part of the old quarries, but some v.sharp spoil up there so punctures are a risk. There's a small lake thing on top somewhere but I never found it - may be fenced off... used to be a few burnt out cars in the undergrowth though!

Never been near it in any significant rain - the valley could be iffy and not sure about the quarries in the wet. On a hot summers day though, its like landing in a desert down in the bottom.
    I know this is an old thread,but I came to it looking for some new runs near Frome , so I thought I'd share some info on Asham as I used to go through there a bit. Hope I've not broken any etiquette giving stuff away about local spots (used to locals getting narked at people giving away local 'secrets' about surf spots)- I left out any map references as its worth a bit of exploring through that area.

Anyone got any tips nearer the other side of Frome?
    (Its nearer to where I am now and I prefer to ride out rather than take the car)

I might buy some maps, but i tend to use Google Maps these days, but I'm not great at spotting cycle routes on there.