Forum home Road cycling forum Campaign

Dump the Scots

The MechanicThe Mechanic Posts: 1,277
edited September 2007 in Campaign
I have hit on a wizard weeze to put an end to the Independance for Scotland debate. I live in Scotland and do not want to separate from the rest of the UK. Most of the arguments for indenpendance are more emotional that practical.

Here goes then - England should start a "Dump the Scots" campaign to get rid of Scotland. That should be enough to outrage the Scots into demanding to be kept in the Union. :wink:
I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
«13

Posts

  • Eat My DustEat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Well I live in London and want an independant Scotland. Where does that leave me??
  • OffTheBackAdamOffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,914
    I'm all in favour of an independant Jockland, then we can send half the bloody cabinet back to you! :D
    We can start by dumping the Barnet Formula! Pay for your own damn politicians.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • PingucpPingucp Posts: 4,991
    Well I live in London and want an independant Scotland. Where does that leave me??

    Still in London I should think :)
  • Eat My DustEat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Pingucp wrote:
    Well I live in London and want an independant Scotland. Where does that leave me??

    Still in London I should think :)

    Wouldn't I need a visa? or could I apply for asylum??
  • RatkillaRatkilla Posts: 230
    edited July 2007
    smiley was disabled
  • RatkillaRatkilla Posts: 230
    I thought that London was an asylum :lol:
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Ratkilla wrote:
    I thought that London was an asylum :lol:

    That's why you're still on medication.
    :wink: :twisted:
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Pingucp wrote:
    Well I live in London and want an independant Scotland. Where does that leave me??

    Still in London I should think :)

    Wouldn't I need a visa? or could I apply for asylum??

    You want an independent Scotland. But want to apply for asylum in England?
    Why?
  • RatkillaRatkilla Posts: 230
    overmars wrote:
    Ratkilla wrote:
    I thought that London was an asylum :lol:

    That's why you're still on medication.
    :wink: :twisted:

    Well last time I was there the streets were covered in kebab wrappers and dog sh*t.
    So you'd have to be clinically depressed to want to go there!
    Anyway, I thought that London itself was independent from the rest of the UK. Or is that just the way that it's potrayed in the Londoncentric media? :lol:
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Ratkilla wrote:
    Well last time I was there the streets were covered in kebab wrappers and dog sh*t.
    So you'd have to be clinically depressed to want to go there!

    Yes, you would have to be clinically depressed.
    :D
    Ratkilla wrote:
    Anyway, I thought that London itself was independent from the rest of the UK. Or is that just the way that it's potrayed in the Londoncentric media? :lol:

    Awww... you can be Paisleycentric too!
  • RatkillaRatkilla Posts: 230
    I am clinically depressed! It's all down to that last visit that I made to London! :lol:
    But truth be told Paisley's Pish but a lot less pish and up it's own ar*e than London.
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Ratkilla wrote:
    I am clinically depressed! It's all down to that last visit that I made to London! :lol:

    {{{{{{hugs}}}}}} Do you want to talk about it? Want me to fetch you your slippers? Cup of tea maybe?

    Its a sprawling metropolis that travels at 200mph. Nope, it ain't pretty. It eats up and spits out those who can't handle it and rewards those who grit there teeth and work their socks off. You can either take the pace or you can't. If you can't... well, it's kinda like cycling really, you get dropped.
    Ratkilla wrote:
    But truth be told Paisley's Pish but a lot less pish and up it's own ar*e than London.

    :shock:
    Better to be up one's own ar*e than someone else's.
  • RatkillaRatkilla Posts: 230
    overmars wrote:
    Ratkilla wrote:
    I am clinically depressed! It's all down to that last visit that I made to London! :lol:

    {{{{{{hugs}}}}}} Do you want to talk about it? Want me to fetch you your slippers? Cup of tea maybe?

    Its a sprawling metropolis that travels at 200mph. Nope, it ain't pretty. It eats up and spits out those who can't handle it and rewards those who grit there teeth and work their socks off. You can either take the pace or you can't. If you can't... well, it's kinda like cycling really, you get dropped.
    Ratkilla wrote:
    But truth be told Paisley's Pish but a lot less pish and up it's own ar*e than London.

    :shock:
    Better to be up one's own ar*e than someone else's.

    Fantastic! Did you purloin that piece of 'motivational' speaking from David Brent?!

    And as for a 'sprawling metropolis that travels at 200mph' that must surely defy the laws of physics! So just like I said originally ... London is an asylum.
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Ratkilla wrote:
    Fantastic! Did you purloin that piece of 'motivational' speaking from David Brent?!

    Doesn't David Brent say "Fantastic" rather a lot? :P
    Ratkilla wrote:
    And as for a 'sprawling metropolis that travels at 200mph' that must surely defy the laws of physics!

    Oh, silly billy! It was figure of speech! :lol:
    Ratkilla wrote:
    So just like I said originally ... London is an asylum.

    You did say that you were clinically depressed. So I guess you would know.
  • RatkillaRatkilla Posts: 230
    overmars wrote:
    Ratkilla wrote:
    Fantastic! Did you purloin that piece of 'motivational' speaking from David Brent?!

    Doesn't David Brent say "Fantastic" rather a lot? :P


    Ratkilla wrote:
    And as for a 'sprawling metropolis that travels at 200mph' that must surely defy the laws of physics!

    Oh, silly billy! It was figure of speech! :lol:
    Ratkilla wrote:
    So just like I said originally ... London is an asylum.

    You did say that you were clinically depressed. So I guess you would know.

    I laughed and laughed and laughed.

    Well done! Well done! You're beginning to get the point now.

    London is an independent open air asylum where people people like being up their own ars*s rather than others'?
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Ratkilla wrote:
    I laughed and laughed and laughed.

    I think you've had too many uppers. Need to take a few downers.
    Ratkilla wrote:
    Well done! Well done! You're beginning to get the point now.

    No. I just make it a rule never to argue with the clinically depressed.
    Ratkilla wrote:
    London is an independent open air asylum where people people like being up their own ars*s rather than others'?

    Yes. As opposed to the good folk of Paisley who don't like being up their own ars* and tend to enjoy putting from the rough*. :oops:

    *not that there's anything wrong with that. :twisted:
  • Eat My DustEat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    overmars wrote:
    Pingucp wrote:
    Well I live in London and want an independant Scotland. Where does that leave me??

    Still in London I should think :)

    Wouldn't I need a visa? or could I apply for asylum??

    You want an independent Scotland. But want to apply for asylum in England?
    Why?

    Smelly Glaswegians and Edinburgh jakies!! :mrgreen:
  • RatkillaRatkilla Posts: 230
    Have you been to Paisley?

    Have you ever ventured north of Watford?

    I thought that this discussion was supposed to be about Scottish independece not Overmars' unhealthy obsession with things bottom related. :?

    It would appear that Overmars and I have established London's 'independence' from the rest of the UK. Therefore, by extension, the rest of the UK is 'independent' from London.

    As it goes tax payers in Scotland pay for 2 sets of muppets.
    One in Edinburgh and the other in London.
    The London Cabinet conatins quite a few Scottish MP's admittedly. But that is small price to pay in return for voters in Scotland having Thatcher and Major imposed on them by the nouveau riche of Essex and the wider South East of England.
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Ratkilla wrote:
    Have you been to Paisley?

    Yes... :D

    p0017200-paisley.jpg
    Ratkilla wrote:
    Have you ever ventured north of Watford?

    Yes... 8)
    Ratkilla wrote:
    thought that this discussion was supposed to be about Scottish independece not Overmars' unhealthy obsession with things bottom related. :?

    You started it! :P You and your anti-London points (no pun intended :) )
    Ratkilla wrote:
    It would appear that Overmars and I have established London's 'independence' from the rest of the UK. Therefore, by extension, the rest of the UK is 'independent' from London.

    Yeah, but we still subsidise ya!
    Ratkilla wrote:
    As it goes tax payers in Scotland pay for 2 sets of muppets.
    One in Edinburgh and the other in London.
    The London Cabinet conatins quite a few Scottish MP's admittedly. But that is small price to pay in return for voters in Scotland having Thatcher and Major imposed on them by the nouveau riche of Essex and the wider South East of England.

    Would you like some cheese with your whine??
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • RatkillaRatkilla Posts: 230
    So you went to a website that has Paisley pattern on it ho hum. How original. :cry:

    You don't subsidise me mate I pay the same level of tax as you do. We all pish into the same pot. I think that you'll find that over the years that oil money has subsidised a huge part of the UK economy since the oil boom of the 70's. Hypothetically, if Scotland had been separate at the time the UK government would have not has access to the huge revenue that oil generated. If we accept that a vast amount of this oil was discovered in Scottish 'territorial waters' it stands, therefore, that Scotland has been subsidising the UK economy since the 1970's! :lol:
    After all, Thatcher used oil money to pay for Social Security in the early 80's. In effect Maggies Millions (the majority of whom lived in England) got their benefits on the back of 'Scotland's' oil money. :wink:

    Strictly speaking I'm not anti London. I just don't think that it's all it's cracked up to be. That's all. The media are Londoncentric there is no argument against this.
    And the ar*se thing was supposed to mean, being so self obsessed that he/she/it should do us all a favour and disappear up it's own orrifice.
    T'was you who mentioned putting from the rough whatever that means.
    I'd use a sand wedge, face open, stance open ... make sure that you get the blade of the club beneath the ball...
  • Eat My DustEat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    People from Paisley smell more than the Weagies. I can't believe ytou even admit to living there!!!!!
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Ratty. In addition with cheese and your whine...

    ...would you like some fish with your chip?
  • Eat My DustEat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    overmars wrote:
    Ratty. In addition with cheese and your whine...

    ...would you like some fish with your chip?

    Salt and Sauce?
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Hmm.... I was thinking more desert. Apple grumble, perhaps?
  • RatkillaRatkilla Posts: 230
    I think you'll find that salt and sauce is a strange Edinburgh confection entirely foreign to those of us fortunate enough to be west of Livingston.
    In fact in many ways Edinburgh is merely a cold northern version of London. :lol:

    As for the argument ... looks like you fellas lose :wink:

    Resorting to playground stylee 'taunts' and using tired old cliches. Sad.
    Reading comments from people without a counter argument. Priceless.

    But don't let the facts get in the way ...

    NYER! NYER! NYER! NYER! NYER! :lol:
  • Eat My DustEat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I don't require a counter argument, as I too want Scottish independance. I just enjoy winding up pikeys!!
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Ratkilla wrote:
    You don't subsidise me mate I pay the same level of tax as you do. We all pish into the same pot.

    London subsidising rest of UK to tune of £13bn a year

    The Independent
    By Jane Padgham
    Published: 19 February 2007

    London is bankrolling less affluent areas of the country to the tune of more than £13bn a year, new research reveals today.

    The report from Oxford Economics, an independent think-tank, shows that the average person living or working in the capital pays about £1,740 a year more in tax than he or she gets back in public spending on infrastructure such as roads and schools. The South-east and East Anglia contribute more than £1,000 a head to the nation's coffers each year, while the rest of the country is a drain on Whitehall.

    Northern Ireland is the most heavily-subsidised region of the country, each resident enjoying about £3,700 a year more in public spending than he or she pays in taxes. Wales, the North-east and Scotland are the other big winners. The report estimates that London, the South-east and East Anglia together have paid out a net £250bn over the past 10 years.

    Alan Wilson, director of consulting at Oxford Economics, said: "Although the cross-subsidisation of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland by the rest of the UK has been widely reported, what these figures reveal is that even within England there are definite winners and losers in terms of the demand on the public purse. Whilst regional policy must continue to support those areas of the UK that have suffered economically from the disappearance of traditional manufacturing jobs, it is also vital that government doesn't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs by hampering the continued prosperity of those regions that do generate financial surpluses."

    The report shows that government spending in London in the 2004/05 financial year, the most recent available for purposes of analysis, was £68.7bn. This compares with the £76.4bn in tax raised from people living in London and the £87.2bn in tax paid by those who work in London. While no one would deny that many parts of London are rich, critics argue that it would be better to channel more of its revenue to the capital's deprived areas. In contrast, tax revenue from Northern Ireland was £10.7bn and public expenditure was £16.9bn.

    Colin Stanbridge, chief executive of the London Chamber of Commerce, said: "This research confirms what we already knew - that London is short-changed by the UK Exchequer. Despite the fact that the capital accounts for nearly one-fifth of the UK economy, London has some of the most heavily overcrowded trains, the greatest disparity between skilled and unskilled workers and accounts for some of the most deprived neighbourhoods in the country. Without renewed investment in skills and transport - most notably the urgently needed Crossrail project - London's role as the engine of the UK economy will come under threat."

    Ian Morrow, deputy chief executive of the Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce, said the province's subsidy was a legacy of its troubled past. "Northern Ireland faced challenges in the Seventies and Eighties which were not experienced elsewhere in the UK, and much of the public subsidy was directed towards security operations and regeneration programmes, essential to the maintenance of the economy. The situation has now changed and the Northern Ireland business community knows that long-term reliance on the public sector is no longer viable," he said.
  • RatkillaRatkilla Posts: 230
    I don't require a counter argument, as I too want Scottish independance. I just enjoy winding up pikeys!!

    Oh... So you know the people next door to me then? Are you related?

    It might help you if you could spell independence! That way when you declare that
    ' I too want independance (sic)' people who use the Queen's English would know what you meant pikey!
  • RatkillaRatkilla Posts: 230
    As the cost of living in London is higher than in other areas wages and salaries reflect this. Higher and more available taxable pay = more taxes therefore it's perfectly reasonable for you cockerneys to pay more tax overall.
    If you agree that the population of greater London is around 8 million (4 times the population of Northern Ireland and almost twice that of Scotland where both areas have lower wages/salaries than London) it is a case of simple economics and arithmetic.

    It's an interesting article (thanks for brining it to my attention) but ultimately proves my point about us all pishing into the same pot.

    This kind of quantitative research is a cold way of presenting data. It lacks depth and any real meaning other than presenting percenatges as fact.

    Lies, damn lies and statistics - Mark Twain.
  • overmarsovermars Posts: 430
    Ratkilla wrote:
    It's an interesting article (thanks for brining it to my attention) but ultimately proves my point about us all pishing into the same pot.

    This kind of quantitative research is a cold way of presenting data. It lacks depth and any real meaning other than presenting percenatges as fact.

    Lies, damn lies and statistics - Mark Twain.

    Yeah, as long as the 'facts' agree with your point of view. If not, hey, twist them to your point of view.
    You really do have a chip on ya shoulder Ratty.
Sign In or Register to comment.