Hit by a car!!

Eat My Dust
Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
I suppose it had to happen again sooner or later!!! filtering up the outside of traffic, guy in a Polo decides he can't wait any longer, as I'm about to pass him, he makes a dash for a side road, I slammed into his door/window, me and bike lifted right off of the road, spun around 180 degrees, still clipped in, and landed still upright, I even managed to unclip before falling off!! would have been funny if I wasn't so pissed off. BTW he did stop for about 5 seconds and then drove off. Who TF hits a cyclist and doesn't even get out to see if they're OK or to apologies????

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Glad you're OK mate. What a james blunt.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
  • Eat My Dust
    spasypaddy wrote:
    glad your ok mate. any damage to the bike?

Took the full force on the side of my body, so no actual contact with the bike. I'm starting to feel like Bruce Willis in 'Unbreakable', that's 3 times I've been hit by cars and came away without a scratch!! Sayingthat I did bang my head on the toilet door at work yesterday, and now have a lump!! :oops:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i wish i had your luck (if you want to call it that!), ive only had one accident and it did £400 worth of damage to the bike and put me in hospital for three days!
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Bad luck mate, I got done in a very similar style last year, got away with a graze on my elbow and a broken spoke. The guy was driving one of those mini ambulances as well so patched up my elbow which I thought was okay and was really apologetic, left his details as well but I never called him back or charged him for the new spoke and true.

Just goes to show that you should really wear a helmet when going to the toilet as you never know.
    ________
    Penny Stocks To Watch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    The Angels were on your side!!!!

(then they nipped round to Mr Polo's and torched his car :lol: )

Keep safe

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Sorry to hear that, really hairy commute this morning as well, almost crushed by a tw*t in a TT to busy on his mobile to notice his driving then a WVM reversing at high speed towards me, but nothing as being as unlucky as to get hit.

To walk away from 3 must mean someone is looking out for you!
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    How do you have so many accidents?

I glad your OK,

but once is an accident, twice is unlucky, three times . . . .

if it's 3 in 20 years OK but not 3 in 3 years, please be more careful, I know the motorist was a prat, but we have to be more careful

Be safe, and good luck
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • Eat My Dust
    3 in 3 years. You have to keep in mind that 2 of those were in the same week at the same junction!! it's really the first incident in over 2 years, considering I do up to 200 miles a week, and a lot of that in London traffic, I would consider myself a very careful cyclist.

BTW, these 3 incidents are the only ones I've had with vehicles in 25 years of cycling.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...he drove away!!? Did he make any effort to get off his fat backside and check if you were okay? I can't believe he didn't get out to check if you were hurt... :(
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    registration?
  • I had a similar incident last night, with a driver cutting in and clipping my arm with her wing mirror. Didn't quite knock me off but gave me a bit of a shock. I cycled ahead of her and asked her to pull over: she drove at me and then sped away. I took the reg, called the police and will make a statement on the way home tonight.

Not sure if I was over-reacting by calling the police, but hopefully a telling-off from them will make her think twice about how much space she gives cyclists in the future.
  • Oh Errrrr!!!!
    As a born again cyclist after a lay off of more years then I care to relate all this commuting lark seems a bit hit or miss (excuse the pun). My commuate to work is only 4 miles and mainly on sleepy lanes, however one strethch is along a very busy main road so it would appear from the statistics that being hit is more of when than if. Has this put me off? No bloody chance, I had forgotten (head down in shame) how much fun being on a bike was, and no blind moron sitting in a metal septic tank is keeping me away from my fun.
    Please send no flowers donations to Sustrans please!!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    oldredeyes wrote:
    I had a similar incident last night, with a driver cutting in and clipping my arm with her wing mirror. Didn't quite knock me off but gave me a bit of a shock. I cycled ahead of her and asked her to pull over: she drove at me and then sped away. I took the reg, called the police and will make a statement on the way home tonight.

Not sure if I was over-reacting by calling the police, but hopefully a telling-off from them will make her think twice about how much space she gives cyclists in the future.

No you are not over-reacting. She (and the driver involved with the OP) committed an offence by leaving the scene of an accident without providing their name and address. I hope that they both get more than a telling off.
  • Gussio wrote:
    oldredeyes wrote:
    I had a similar incident last night, with a driver cutting in and clipping my arm with her wing mirror. Didn't quite knock me off but gave me a bit of a shock. I cycled ahead of her and asked her to pull over: she drove at me and then sped away. I took the reg, called the police and will make a statement on the way home tonight.

No you are not over-reacting. She (and the driver involved with the OP) committed an offence by leaving the scene of an accident without providing their name and address. I hope that they both get more than a telling off.

I agree.

Too concerned about getting where they need to be to take note of anybody else. This is why I become so nervous on my commute; thankfully, most of us know how predictable drivers can be (unlike us cyclists, who are soooooooo unpredictable - change the record FFS :roll: ) half of them probably couldn't give a stuff if they hit a cyclist if they knew they could get away with it (which alas, they do).

However, might I recommend the following t-shirt as a deterrent:

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/cycling%20 ... g_/c_/fpt_

and this courier bag:

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/cycling+bi ... pt_/c_360/

There's some good schtick on that site!

Glad you're ok, but the bit about banging your head did make me laugh...sorry :D