Newcastle-Dover-row the channel and head to Paris!

OTpaul
OTpaul Posts: 3
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

I am quite new to road cycling. I normally row, but since last year i have been clocking up the miles through fab County Durham. After a grand cycle from London to Paris in June for charity i am setting the goal of getting to Paris from Newcastle and row the English Channel (planned for Spring/Summer 2008 ). The Psychiatrist at work offered to give me some medication! but hey :shock: , i like my bike so i have set a bit of a target. My friend is 64, she has never been on a bike all her life and managed to get to Paris with me in June, so together this will be the ultimate challenge.

The question is, can any of you offer some good cycling routes from where you are?I can get to about Darlington (south Co.Durham) but from there i may be a bit stuck, i could rely on Tom Tom but it's not the same. You might know some good countryside routes.

Any information would be great!! The earlier i plan, better chance of getting there! Thanks in advance 8)

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    OTpaul wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I am quite new to road cycling. I normally row, but since last year i have been clocking up the miles through fab County Durham. After a grand cycle from London to Paris in June for charity i am setting the goal of getting to Paris from Newcastle and row the English Channel (planned for Spring/Summer 2008 ). The Psychiatrist at work offered to give me some medication! but hey :shock: , i like my bike so i have set a bit of a target. My friend is 64, she has never been on a bike all her life and managed to get to Paris with me in June, so together this will be the ultimate challenge.

The question is, can any of you offer some good cycling routes from where you are?I can get to about Darlington (south Co.Durham) but from there i may be a bit stuck, i could rely on Tom Tom but it's not the same. You might know some good countryside routes.

Any information would be great!! The earlier i plan, better chance of getting there! Thanks in advance 8)

As an ex-Darlingtonion I can recommend that you potter down the A167 and A168 calling in at Northallerton Thirsk/Ripon before calling it at Wetherby. I cycle the route three or four time per year when I cycle up to Darlo from Leeds.

A useful route planner is viaMichelin where you can select bike as an option and it's generally good at selecting low traffic routes. Use www.viamichelin.com to use the site

To get a gradient profile of your routes you can use Map My Ride at www.mapmyride.com and you can store each day's planned ride in a calender.

Good luck with your ride.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Don't know the route at all! But I do want to wish you good luck! :)
  • OTpaul
    OTpaul Posts: 3
    Thanks alot, that's brilliant...i will take a look....I will let you know how i get on. :)