Buying online - building on delivery

Grimsay
Grimsay Posts: 11
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hey,

Whilst shopping around for an entry level road bike I've noticed that there are a lot of great deals on bikes online.

Some online retailers will deliver your new bike to you already serviced and built, basically ready to ride, while others will just send it as is, leaving you to build it yourself on arrival. I'm just wondering, as a novice, would it be wise for me to build my own bike, or would I be better off just paying that bit extra and buying it from my LBS knowing its put together proper?

Thanks,
Iain

Comments

• wolvesandy
    wolvesandy Posts: 63
    Its up to you really, but for piece of mind i got mine from LBS, they measured me for it, built it for me, serviced it after a few months and looked at my bike if ive thought there was a problem with it. :)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What about wiggle? Free delivery, prices don't seem too bad, bike made ready to ride. They seem to have a good reputation.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Depends a lot on your LBS - I wouldn't let mine touch it.

I'd say invest the time in setting it up yourself - they aren't that complex a machine - it's not like it's a nuclear submarine or anything - you will learn about your bike and be able to make repairs and adjustments to keep it running smooth.
  • Grimsay
    Ok.

I've found a Giant SRC 2.0 (2006) for a descent price but the size the website suggest is totally different from the sizing I've been given for other bikes in shops. Are Giants sized differently?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    giant only make 3 sizes in the SCR range S, M & L - the M is like a 55cm model I think - slightly bigger than a 54 - where the S is like a 52cm - up to 54ish.

what size have you looked at elsewhere? if you were looking at 50, 52 or 54 specialized then I would say get the small - a 56 or 58 get the medium and anything bigger then get the L.

I bought an OCR3 last year in size 'M' it was too big for me and I sold it not long after. I would normally take a 52 or a 54 at a push but found the stretch to the bar too much.

with a smaller frame you can extend the seat tube and the stem lenght - but you can't go cutting a larger frame down - plus the smaller frame is lighter.
  • Grimsay
    Thanks guys.

Just ordered a 2006 Gaint SCR 2.0 size M, from Tredz...the price was right. They deliver it pre-built.

Cheers