Camping in or near Budapest

xilios
xilios Posts: 170
edited August 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,
My wife and I are flying into Budapest mid September to cycle the Donau to its source than head up north towards Holland.
My questions are, does anyone know of a good/safe campground in or near the airport in Budapest?
We will have our bikes boxed so we'll need a place to put them together, is it possible at the airport?
Also looking for tips about the city, we will stay a day or two to look around.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• My wife and I are flying into Budapest mid September to cycle the Donau to its source than head up north towards Holland.
    My questions are, does anyone know of a good/safe campground in or near the airport in Budapest?

No...but...would be interested to hear how your trip goes from Budapest to Vienna. Am planning to do the entire Eurovelo 6 ride from the French Atlantic coast to the Black Sea (Loire, Saone/Daubs/Rhine/Donau).

Have a great trip.
    BTP,

Perth, WA
  • alittlecrazy
    alittlecrazy Posts: 222
    xilios wrote:
    Hi all,
    My wife and I are flying into Budapest mid September to cycle the Donau to its source than head up north towards Holland.
    We will have our bikes boxed so we'll need a place to put them together, is it possible at the airport?

Not sure about near the airport, but the Biker Camp right in the city is excellent, a really nice "homey" place. They have a website if you google it. bikercamp.hu or something like that... there is a pic and more info on our site too
    Round the world on our bicycles -- www.travellingtwo.com
  • xilios
    Thanx ALITTLECRAZY and BIRDCP, looks like a real nice place. Were there.
    By the way would you guys happen to know the best way to get from the airport to the bikercamp?
    I checked it out in Google Earth and it seems the only way is a dual carriageway, are bikes allowed on it?
    cheers
  • Birdcp
    Birdcp Posts: 28
    Could be tricky to cycle it, it's about 10 miles out and serviced by motorways from what I can gather. You might consider an arranged pick-up, this company boast that they can handle pretty much anything and you can email them and ask about the bikes. they provide a pick-up mini-bus..

http://www.budapest.com/limo/
  • Hello,
    My name is Zsuzsanna Miko. I am owner of bikercamp budapest camping. Us campsite is near the Ferihegy airport, safe and fine.
    Approache airport with public transport: You buy 4 tickets (1 ticket 230FT, bus metro are equal)
    You go by blue public bus Nr. 200 until the end station KÖBÁNYA-KISPEST, here you change, and you take Metro Nr. M3 and you go until the station NÉPLIGET. You come up from the subway toward KÖNYVES KÁLMÁN Körút. You go by foot and the third street is Benyovszky Móric utca 40. You will see some legend in the subway „Camping 400 m” color is orange.
    or you can take a minibus servis for 2300Ft/person.
    The campsite is situated near the city centre, just 5 minutes from the Metro station (NÉPLIGET), 7th station is the downtown.
    we have many information on the website: http://www.bikercamp.hu
    If you have a question ask me please.
    We look forward to welcoming you.
    Best regards
    Zsuzsanna Miko

xilios wrote:
    Hi all,
  • xilios
    Hello Zsuzsanna, my question is/was is there a way to cycle from the airport into the city? Looking at our maps and Google earth we see that there is a road from the airport into the city, are bicycles allowed on it?
    Thanx, see you in Sep. cheers :)
  • vectra
    vectra Posts: 91
    Xilios
    I flew back from Budapest to Gatwick in June and cycled out from Pest to the airport along the Ulio Ut until it eventually becomes the airport express way. There's no way you can cycle on the express way but the Ulio Ut is just a main road out of the city although I cycled along the pavement most of the way.

As you will be doing it in the opposite direction, when you come out of the airport (Terminal 1) you turn left and cross over the carriageway to the middle where there is a cycle path between the two carriageways. Follow this to the next major junction.

Turn left under the dual carriageway along a main road for about half a mile then turn right at the traffic lights. Follow this road for a couple of miles then you will come to the cycle path again. Basically keep the express way as near to your right a possible. Look out for sign posts indicating the cycle path.

It took me about an hour from the center of Pest.

Ferenghy airport is quite small but I had no problem dismantling my panniers etc and packing them all up in the main concourse.

I stayed at a wonderful campsite in Budakezi which is an old converted tram terminus.
    http://www.campingniche.hu/ The owners speak excellent English amongst other languages. However, Biker Camp is probably more convenient for your purposes.

If you want more info then please get in touch.
    Enjoy your holiday - Hungary is a wonderful place.
  • xilios
    Thanks birdcp, I've already contacted budapest.com/limo but they have been sold so I can't get a price quote for another couple of weeks.

And thank you Vectra, nice to know we can ride from the airport. We would prefer to ride but if the price is right we wouldn't mind setting up the bikes in the camp and avoid any hasstle of setting them up at the airport than riding on busy roads.