Cycling specific laundry knowledge needed

david 142
david 142 Posts: 227
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Got a bit ahead of myself today and took my first pair of lycra shorts out for a test drive, forgetting that I hadnt sussed out how to wash them properly afterwards.
I want to keep to a handwash because I need to get my ideas sorted out for a tour in a few weeks time.
I'm thinking mild detergent, definitely not biological, and a thorough rinse. Is there more to it than that?

I didnt use any, err, lubricants today :wink: If I end up doing so, what do I need to use to get the grease out of the chamois?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I didn't there was a need for any special washing for lycra. I've been using lycra base layers for years for rugby (which I now use for cycling) . I've always washed then with my normal clothes, and the lycra has always come out as they went in (albeit cleaner) - I can't say the same about my normal clothes though.

I just through my shirts and shorts in the washer, never thought any special treatment was needed.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    david 142 wrote:
    I didnt use any, err, lubricants today :wink: If I end up doing so, what do I need to use to get the grease out of the chamois?

No need to try and remove the 'lubricants'. Just wash as normal. Assos themselves recommend adding chamois cream as soon as you pull them out of the washer, before you hang them up to dry. They also say you don't have to do this every time, alternate washes will do.
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    When I am not touring I recommend the 3 virgins approach
    One to gently Dhobi the shorts on her thighs
    The second to run around to generate a gentle breeze to dry the shorts
    The third to treat the chamois with genuine Lanolin

or you could what I do, wash at 30 and treat with lanolin

where do you find 3 virgins????

george
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    All that lanolin business was important back in the 1980s when the shammy insert was actual chamois leather (and dried all crispy if you didn't look after it - oyah, my plums!). But modern synthetic shammy just needs washing on a low temperature and not hot-drying.

You *can* put shammy cream on, thats personal preference. Certainly no need either way. As for biological, that's personal choice too. It's better on skidmarks...
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Buy once you get used to the feel of lanolin :P :P
    ( and its great for Brooks saddles)

Recommended by

george
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    Hmm. Does that mean proofide would be good for my...Oh lets not go there :lol:
    Its good to find out that the situation is less demanding than I thought - I'll probably manage allright then!
    Thanks.

Carefully steering clear of all jokes about woolly bleaters!
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    ditto; 30 degree wash with no Fabric conditioner.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1