Campagnolo Mirage 9sp upgrades routes

CarlosFerreiro
CarlosFerreiro Posts: 83
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,
just bought my first road bike 2nd hand on ebay.

Not got it yet, but I think it's going to need a new bottom bracket at least and have been checking that out, wondering if it might be better to take one of the deals to something like an 06 Chorus Crankset at the same time. Can you give me some idea of how much you can mix 9speed and 10speed components?

The 10speed runs a narrower chain I guess? So I could maybe run 10speed cranks and chainrings with everything else staying 9speed? Or would it be better to move the 9speed chiainwheels to the new cranks?

If I went 10speed on the cassette, I'd need a whole 10speed transition, derailieurs and shifters in one go?

Comments

• acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    You can mix a 10 speed crank set with a 9 speed chain. There are slight differences in the chainring spacing and front mech (I think), but nothing that should cause you any trouble at all. Remember that Chorus and Record chainsets require a 102 iso bottom bracket, rather than the 111 you get with Centaur down.

If you decided to go 10 speed, you would need a new chain and cassette. The rear mech would probably work fine, although you could swap out the jockey wheels for ten speed ones for optimum performance. You can also change the shifter disc in the right hand ergo lever. The part costs very little, but fitting it might scare most bike shops (unless you can find a Campag pro shop). Mirage QS 10 speed levers are fairly cheap, and have alloy levers.

Does that help?
  • That's great thanks, now I think I can plan where I might go. Cheers.