Done the old SPD Fall today!

Rich Hcp
Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Well it had to happen,.

In traffic, off course.

Loads of people around, of course.

The cleat clipped in when I wasn't expecting it to, didn't have enough time to unclip.

You know what's happening, the tarmac looked hard and unyeilding.

Splat!!

Get up, dust down.

get back on

keep going

Did another 22 miles, making 30 in all. Took 2 hours.

Much quicker than my old MTB 8)
Richard

Giving it Large

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ah, but MTBers have better balance, meaning that we'd never fall off, even if we were unexpectedly still clipped in :D

Seriously though, I remember when I bought my first SPDs (for XC-ing, I'm not a road guy), I fitted them and tried them out, and then the weather became attrocious for a few weeks.
    When I finally went out on them, I forgot about them, and consequently fell down an embankment - still attatched to the bike - when I stopped for a breather!

After a while, it becomes seccond nature. But I must admit, that as my riding became more gravity oriented, I used the SPDs less and less. :?
  • in the wire
    in the wire Posts: 79
    edited December 2007
    I've only been doing it for a couple of months, and no doubt my time is now looming :D
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    The fall which is purely due to being clipped in will generally only happen in the first week or so before you get used to unclipping every time you stop. After that, you won't have any problems.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    when clipped in do not stop to chat with friends, as you will forget to unclip.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Another one that got me whilst clipped in was kind of as Nick says, chatting and ambling along on my bike, then unexpectedly hitting something that brings the bike to a sudden and complete stop.
    Cue much hillarity :evil:
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Just out of interest, do people who have problems falling whilst clipless generally ride competitively where they need to be quite tight in?

Was discussing this with a friend, who like me uses multi release cleats on the lowest tension, and has done for years. We've never come close to falling over *only* as a result of being clipped in...

I've only been doing it for a couple of months, and no doubt my time is now looming :D

Only had the bike a month, not done too much because of the crap weather :cry:

They are set as loose as possible, caught out by a re-clip, maybe i should have flipped the pedal to stip clipping in until ready.

Put it down to inexperiance
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Practice makes perfect, my Looks and mtb SPD's are always done up fairly tight, and I don't have problems using them - something to do with at least 15 years using Look though !
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i had the pedals a few weeks before i fell and then did it twice on the same day! but not since thankfully (three months on now).

I have found that i unclip easier from my raleigh max mountain bike than from my cannondale r400 road bike which is weird or it could just be my imagination
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    I had been cycling clipless for five months before having my one (and so far only) clipless fall.

I did however has one occasion when I couldn't get it to release and had to cycle up to a lamp post so that I could lean against it lean down, unlace my shoe, remove my foot and then get off the bike to wrestle with the shoe until the cleat released :oops:
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Never managed to fall off because of a clip in,
    I've got it on the middle tightest setting, don't see the need to tighten it up further as I've never unclipped accidentally.

It just becomes second nature, when you stop you automatically unclip without thinking, you'll get used to it.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I thought I was going to do it again :oops: on Sunday. I dropped out of the large chainring to the lower chain ring and for some reason the chain decided not to go the whole way and locked up the cranks after what seemed like an eternity freewheeling up hill (probably only a second) it un-jammed, after that the gears changed perfectly.
  • pete236uk
    pete236uk Posts: 58
    We have all done it mine was in front of a pub as well what a prat I felt
    peter