Got 'sprinkled' by a white van the other day

cntl
cntl Posts: 290
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
I've just been cycling to work for a week, around 8.4 miles each way.

On the second day, I was approaching Chertsey, doing slightly over 20 mph. The road was quite wide but the car behind me didn't want to overtake me till there was no traffic on the opposite lane. A couple of cars behind that car, there was a nice white van. The van driver apparently got irritated at the few seconds of slowdown, so as he went past me he made sure his screenwash detergent ended up all over my face and in my eyes :shock: .

I seriously consider investing in one of these helmet cams, and recording every journey (sort of a BLACK BOX hahahaha) :D . I saw one for a little over 80 quid, and I have spare memory cards at home.

I believe if the use of such cams was more widespread by cyclists, and car drivers were more aware of that, there would be less reckless driving around cyclists and fewer injuries/deaths on the road. I would not report an incident like this to the Police, even if I had the 'footage' but I have a dreadful foreboding of worse things to come. After all, I've been only cycling for a week, and I am determined to keep it up through the winter.

John

Comments

• BigRedR
    BigRedR Posts: 51
    cntl wrote:
    I would not report an incident like this to the Police, even if I had the 'footage' but I have a dreadful foreboding of worse things to come.

Why not? If he intentionally did that, its technically assault.
  • cntl
    cntl Posts: 290
    >>> Why not? If he intentionally did that, its technically assault.

Well, does not seem to be that serious IMHO. Also, he can always say it was a coincidence and he only wanted to clean his windshield (the weather was good btw).

I have better things to spend the money on than a helmet cam, but it still may be worth it in the long term. Not that I will be deliberately provoking incidents (I am a peace loving guy :wink: ) but it would be more informative and interesting to put a footage of an incident like that on the forum, rather than a verbal describtion. More seriously, may be, in a small way, it would encourage more cyclists to use this 'black boxes' and lead to better safety on the roads? Just imagine if everybod had these cams, the number of incidents could fall dramatically IMHO.

John
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Wider use of 'black boxes' helmet cams could be discouraging some drivers from behaving in a reckless manner or could just encourage them to be a wee bit more careful on who they pick on. They will just bully cyclists who don't obviously have such recording devices or it could encourage the nutters who have a perverted desire to star on YouTube in such videos or are just plain ignorant.

There used to be a section in this forum for for such vids but since magnatom took his collection to another place (Cycle Chat) it seems to have disappeared...
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.