best pump

AllTorque
AllTorque Posts: 31
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Had a puncture yesterday, 10 miles from home. Changed the tube and got to pumping with my £20 SKS pump, and the bloomin tube wouldn't inflate!! Nightmare! Had to ring a mate to pick me up! When I got home, it inflated perfectly with a track pump.

Just wondering what pumps people carry on their bike, and are they any good? Sometimes I think presta valves are not the easiest for roadside inflation. Are there any other alternatives?? I'd especially like a pump that you can screw on to the valve rather than the 'grip' type which seem prevalent these days.

Hope you can help guys!

Comments

• OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    Well, I use a Topeak Micro Rocket because it's very small, yet reasonably easy to get good pressure with - probably due to it's low stroke volume. Also comes with a bottle cage mount and small enough for the saddlepack.
    Sadly, it's push-fit.

The Crank Bros. pumps look good, if heavy/larger. They have an "easy pump" setting. A cheap copy of these, I have seen on the SJS cycles website - Push fit again.

I've never seen 700c Presta valved inner tubes, however you may want to try looking for Schraeder valves, as I believe the connectors are screw-fit.... You'd need to carry an old-fashioned pump and use frame clips to mount it.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I can highly recommend the Topeak Road Morph

Topeak%20Mini%20Morph.jpg

It works like a mini track pump and is very easy to get decent pressures. The hose is also an advantage as there is no strain put on the valve (I have bent them with other types).

I also have a Cyclaire
    cyclaire-plus.jpg

which is also highly efficient and easy to use, and has an accurate pressure gauge.

I'm torn between which is best!

700c tubes are usually presta valves, and they are easier to pump to high pressures.

Both pumps grip the valve rather than screw on (as most pumps do). This works fine, no problem at all. The only screw-on pump heads I am familiar with come with shock pumps for schraeder valves. I think the overall pump design is the issue rather than type of head when it comes to efficient pumping.

Just a thought - when the tube wouldn't inflate, I always dab the end of the valve prior to pumping, they often are a bit sticky and remain sealed even when unscrewed unless you do this first.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I've given up with mini pumps after a similar experience - couldn't get any air in the tyre and rode home with it soft avoiding and lumps in the road like mad. The little ones just don't seem to last very long in my experience.

Now I use a WrenchForce frame pump under the top tube - inflates to 140psi and doesn't take forever either.