Garmin Edge 205

hopeful
hopeful Posts: 76
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Does the Garmin Edge 205 take up much room on the handlebars? And is it heavy?
Thanks.

Comments

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    hopeful wrote:
    Does the Garmin Edge 205 take up much room on the handlebars? And is it heavy?
    Thanks.

No, it's not heavy. It comes with 2 mounts, so you can fix it to the bars or the stem. Mine goes on the stem of my bikes and doesn't get in the way at all. It's the size of a small mobile phone.
    Garmin edge 205. Nice bit of kit. :)

On the C+ forum there were lots of useful threads about the Garmin Edge 205/305. Alas they are no more. :(
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    I have an Edge 305 - great tool - when it's working.

When mine gets back from Garmin it will be my fourth in about 5 months. The last one started thinking it was at 65,000 feet and the nice man at Garmin sent a courier to collect it.

When I get the new one in return I think I'll sell it along with the HR monitor and cadence sensor. I have zero confidence it will work for very long after the guarantee runs out, then it's £50 or more for a repair.
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • WindyRob
    WindyRob Posts: 32
    i got one for my birthday, i have to say that it has been great. just make sure you switch it on before you set off it takes a couple of minutes at least to find out where it is!

as for route planning i have found that the 100 waypoint limit means that you need to plan your route with memory map or similar indicatiing the turns at junctions only, this is good for over a 100K's through country lanes.

there is loads of advice about regarding how to make the most of it.... you will get 'the Garmin 205 is not a navigation tool blah blah blah...' and they're right but on local roads you don't know too well you can plan a good route and explore routes you might not be able to hold in your head.

i got mine off ebay for £85 and that included postage not bad i thought with a retail of over £165 :D:D

Windy
    Wot, get up early and ride to work?!.... Are you mad?
  • Mister Paul
    I got mine for £70 in the USA.

It is good for navigation, as long as you don't get too lost (!). The route comes up as a black line on an otherwise blank screen. If you zoom in you can see clearly which way to go at junctions, and if you go about 10m off course it will beep to tell you. I've done 120mile road routes with it and it has worked fine.

Check out www.bikeroutetoaster.com . It's fantastic. You roughly plot your route and it will work out a road route for you. Then you download the route, put it through a converter, and upload it to the Edge.

Oh, and SportTracks is way better than the Garmin software you get with it.
    bikeroute toaster - what converter do you need to use to get it into an Edge 305? I had a quick look and it seems to be written for Edge devices but it doesn't output a .crs file which I think the Edge needs.
  • john ponting
    john ponting Posts: 491
    overmars wrote:

On the C+ forum there were lots of useful threads about the Garmin Edge 205/305. Alas they are no more. :(

Search found a load of threads:

garmin edge : 65 threads
    GPS : 26 threads
    Sat nav : 76 threads

Some will, of course, be duplicates.

But most of the C+ threads were transferred across within about 4 days of the change to bikeradar.
  • Mister Paul
    bikeroute toaster - what converter do you need to use to get it into an Edge 305? I had a quick look and it seems to be written for Edge devices but it doesn't output a .crs file which I think the Edge needs.

try this

http://www.gpsies.com/upload.do?uploadMode=convert

or this

http://www.gpsbabel.org/
    overmars wrote:

But most of the C+ threads were transferred across within about 4 days of the change to bikeradar.

Well I did mean Garmin Edge 205/305 specifically. This thread rates highly for me because it gives useful info eg. Memory Map is mentioned here. Doing a search for memory map brings up 6 theads. Where there is only three (including this one) that mention the Garmin Edge 205/305. And only this thread that deals mainly with the 205.

If I put in a specific search for Garmin Edge 205. There are four threads. Three of which give lots of useful info. Two of those threads were created yesterday (20/7).
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    It looks great!
    is it worth investing in one you think?
  • xover_runner
    xover_runner Posts: 228
    On balance they are brilliant tools if a little unreliable. I bought mine in June 06. I had the original replaced under warranty in Sept 06 as it kept locking up. I have just had it changed again under warranty as it developed a fault where it would turn itself off every time I hit a reasonable sized bump in the road. So 3 units in just over a year but when they work they are a very tidy piece of kit. use in conjunction with SportsTrack free software, don't bother with garmin's own software, it's rubbish.
  • john ponting
    overmars wrote:
    overmars wrote:

Well I did mean Garmin Edge 205/305 specifically. This thread rates highly for me because it gives useful info eg. Memory Map is mentioned here. Doing a search for memory map brings up 6 theads. Where there is only three (including this one) that mention the Garmin Edge 205/305. And only this thread that deals mainly with the 205.

If I put in a specific search for Garmin Edge 205. There are four threads. Three of which give lots of useful info. Two of those threads were created yesterday (20/7).

Overmars - I take your point but I was trying to help the original poster rather than have a go at you.

Of course, as the Garmin manufacturers site only has Edge 205 & 305 available a simple 'garmin edge' search will find everything. This would allow op to read up a bit more.
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    But is it possible to upload a route from the supplied garmin software onto the unit?
    even if it is a little poo!
  • john ponting
    http://www8.garmin.com/products/trainingcenter/

I've never used an Edge but the software is called Training Centre. The site does state "Create customized workouts with specific goals and rest intervals. Then send them to your fitness device" but isn't clear on what gets transferred.

Go to Garmin and have a good read - click on the links for MB (Motion Based) which seems to (more than) state that you can design a course or route and download it. There is a page that shows the Edge menus that you will use.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Check out the MotionBased web site as well, http://www.motionbased.com. There's a wiki and lot of good advice on the forums there.
  • john ponting
    see also the Edge 205 thread down in Training. Suggests looking at Tracklogs.
  • MapMyRide
    MapMyRide Posts: 2
    Check out www.bikeroutetoaster.com . It's fantastic. You roughly plot your route and it will work out a road route for you. Then you download the route, put it through a converter, and upload it to the Edge.

MapMyRide.com (http://www.mapmyride.com) is a site that allows all the GPS/Garmin integration. You can download gpx files or use our import utility to pull the data right from your GPS data.

On the flip side, if you use the site to create routes (try the follow roads feature!), you can save it and then export it back to your garmin. You can also create and print cue sheets.

Check it out and drop me feedback!

-Kevin
    Co-Founder, MapMyRide.com
  • Check out MapMyRide.com (http://www.mapmyride.com) as we fully support CRS exports. (While viewing a newly created route, click Export > to GPS) -- you can use our site to plan routes pretty effectively with our auto-routing, cue sheets, elevation profiles, etc.

Check it out and let me know what you think!

-Kevin
    Co-Founder, MapMyRide.com[/url]