SPD-SL pedals

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
I'm new to road cycling, well cycling in general. My bike came with these dodgy straps, which I couldn't get my feet into, so I changed them to MTB pedals, but now I feel that I'm at the stage to go for clipless pedals.

I want to get some of the Shimano SPD-SL. But do the pedals come with the cleats? I've looked at the sites stocking them and on the shimano site but nowhere says decisively whether or not they are included. I've spoken to a couple of people and they reckon they are included.

Can anyone back this up?
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    Shimano SPD-SL pedals do generally come with cleats, being the ones that allow a few degrees of float (sideways movement of the foot on the pedal). Personally I prefer the fixed cleats, which allow no movement, but this is purely a personal thing. Try the float cleats that come with the pedals first and see how you get on.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Recently bought some Dura-Ace pedals and they came with the standard "yellow" cleats that allow about 7° of float. The "red" flavour don't allow any float, but I haven't tried them. Personally I'd go with some float just in case your knees need it :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Stark.
    Stark. Posts: 108
    Yes, Shimano SPD-SL pedals come with cleats included. And yes, I'd go for the ones that offer a bit of float.
  • redddraggon
    Which should I get the R540 (for about £26 off ebay)

Or spend a bit more and get either the 5600s or the 6200s?

As they should last me a good few bikes and years, is it worth spending the little extra on the more expensive pedals?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I use R540's on both of my road bikes and have never had a problem with them. Isn't the only difference weight, with the more expensive models?
  • rhys_gibby
    rhys_gibby Posts: 45
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shim ... -10478.htm

There you go! Have a beer with the change!

I've got these as well, bombproof!

Rhys
  • Dunedin397
    Dunedin397 Posts: 149
    Even the low end model of the SPD-SL range will work just fine. The main difference between the models is the weight and materials used. Unless you're racing, there's no need to go any higher than the 105 level model.

Dunedin397
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    You can get the 105 5600 SL from chainreactioncycles for £29.99. Can't go wrong with these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17367

:D

I couldn't find them cheaper elsewhere (about a month ago), and yes they came with the yellow floaty cleats.
  • redddraggon
    MrKawamura wrote:
    You can get the 105 5600 SL from chainreactioncycles for £29.99. Can't go wrong with these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17367

I couldn't find them cheaper elsewhere (about a month ago), and yes they came with the yellow floaty cleats.

I looked at these on this site in work today, they were there then, now I come to spend some dosh they are discontinued.

Damn!
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Just looking at these myself. They seem to be back in stock again so obviously not discontinued just out of stock but quickly back in again it would appear.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    ribble have them too - at £29.99 I think

they also have the 540's for 25 or 23 if you want them in white and there is a 10% off voucher to take off that
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Dunedin397 wrote:
    Even the low end model of the SPD-SL range will work just fine. The main difference between the models is the weight and materials used. Unless you're racing, there's no need to go any higher than the 105 level model.

Sorry, but there's a very good reason to go higher - all the way up to Dura-Ace in fact - your bike will look blingin' with 'em on :twisted:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • redddraggon
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Sorry, but there's a very good reason to go higher - all the way up to Dura-Ace in fact - your bike will look blingin' with 'em on :twisted:

My bike won't. It was the cheapest road bike in Halfords in my size, its not a bad bike, but I don't think it looks that great.

Anyway I managed to get some of the 105s off ebay for £26, hopefully they'll come today and I can try them out tonight with my new nike road shoes.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • MrKawamura
    Sounds like a good deal, £26. The 105s are already the highest level component on my bike, so Dura Ace would certainly look blingin'. I would need to get a full pro-team kit and a large gold medallion to balance out the look.

• redddraggon
    I've got the pedals and shoes now, opted for the cheap nike shoes and the 105s.

I went for a quick test drive this evening, and unclipping I'm having no problems, but clipping my second (right) foot in seems difficult, it takes a couple of goes before the cleat sticks.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • yeah - i found the SL's a pain to get into after spd's (on a mtb), Instead of stamping down, you have to push forward, then click in - its a bit more complicated movement (IMO...)

You'll get used to it though, dont worry :)
  • redddraggon
    I did my first longish journey this morning with the pedals and shoes this morning.

Everything seemed fine, but after a while I was getting cramp on the soles of my feet.

Is this normal? Will my feet get used to it after a while?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • MrKawamura
    Not sure about the cramp. My feet ache on the outside, but it tends to go away as I ride further, rather than getting worse. I still can't get the second foot in first time every time, but I've got used to it, so can pedal a couple of turns clipped in one side if I need to. I fell over for the first time today, but that's another story.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    I would guess it is because of the solid sole found in road shoes.

your feet are used to being cossetted by soft leather shoes and trainers and the like - they don't like this solid carbon fibre / composite footbed in the cycling shoes.

you should get used to it I would imagine - I think mine were the same for the first few rides.
  • redddraggon
    gkerr4 wrote:
    I would guess it is because of the solid sole found in road shoes.

your feet are used to being cossetted by soft leather shoes and trainers and the like - they don't like this solid carbon fibre / composite footbed in the cycling shoes.

you should get used to it I would imagine - I think mine were the same for the first few rides.

The Cramp I get in my feet seems to be the same I get running and playing rugby. My rugby boots have stiff soles just like the cycling shoes, but my running shoes have flexible soles.

Another problems seems to foot position/cleat angle. For some reason I find my most natural feet position when walking, standing etc is a 'V' shape. I angle the cleats as far they'll let me to allow for this angle, but then my shoes are hitting the crank(?) when in the horizontal position. Is there anyway to get wider pedals?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    If you bought your running shoes from a proper running shop it might be worth going back to see them about your cramps.

I get a pain in my ankle when i run and it feels like my ankle stiffens up, went into the running shop, explained the problem and they weren't busy and were very happy to take a look at my running and see if they could suggest anything. Turned out the guy seemed to be very knowledgable and basically told me that he thought my arches on my feet were dropping and a muscle in calf is very stiff meaning that the most likely cause of the ankle pain is a small muscle being pulled in diff directions and there really wasn't anything he could sell me to correct it, didn't try to sell me new trainers or insoles or anything. Recommended me to go see a sports physio and then possibly look into more supportive running shoes.

The running shop assistants can usually give good free advice, particularly if your talking to the older more experienced staff, but they're not physio's so advice should be taken with a pinch of salt, but could be a good starting point.