"Im no quitter"

2»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,123
    Bronzie wrote:
    A few riders attempted a last gasp break in the Giro this year, but can't think of any that have tried at the Tour this year..............Cancellara kind of did it I suppose, but the run in there was hardly the most straightforward.

Ekimov used to try it with some regularity, but I can't remember if he ever won a stage this way.
    Ekimov won a stage in the 1991 Tour but, if memory serves, he was away for 4-5 kms rather than making his attack in the final kilometre.

Cancellera's win was impressive - watch it again and he goes with about 700 metres to go on a straight road and holds them off. Pretty straightforward really!
  • mac220
    mac220 Posts: 53
    Yeah but wasn't there heavy rain that day in paris and the roads were really waterlogged, so a single rider has an advantage on the corners because of being able to choose their line, especially in the wet. And the paris course is pretty technical. No doubt it was an incredible stage win. Wasn't the stage sort of neutralised because of the water on the roads, now i come to think about it.

Most of the big tour favourites don't make moves like that because is smacks of being desperate, IMHO. LA was keeping out of trouble in paris because he won the race already, no use crashing and not making it to the finish. LA won most of the ITT's in the tour with the odd acception, there's no doubt he could have ridden away, but most of them know that there's very little likelyhood of success. Of course in the mountains its a different story and all those big & strong domestiques are out the back suffing and the prise is much bigger in terms of time bonuses, minutes not seconds.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    andyp wrote:
    Cancellera's win was impressive - watch it again and he goes with about 700 metres to go on a straight road and holds them off. Pretty straightforward really!
    Yeahbut............the bunch had to accelerate out of those 2 tight turns across cobbles.........one thing riding off the front of a bunch doing 45kph, another thing entirely when they are doing nearer 60kph. :shock:

mac220 wrote:
    is smacks of being desperate, IMHO
    Smacks of class in mine! :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    andyp wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    A few riders attempted a last gasp break in the Giro this year, but can't think of any that have tried at the Tour this year..............Cancellara kind of did it I suppose, but the run in there was hardly the most straightforward.

Ekimov used to try it with some regularity, but I can't remember if he ever won a stage this way.
    Ekimov won a stage in the 1991 Tour but, if memory serves, he was away for 4-5 kms rather than making his attack in the final kilometre.

The king of this type of move was Jelle Nijdam in the mid to late 80s. He pulled it off a few times. I've often wondered if Wiggins could do this - Millar has tried on occasions.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I think Vino will ride back into the GC race in the next 4 days, the time gaps will be big in the next 4 days and the TDF won in the final TT...by tomorrow it wll have been 10 days since Vino's crash and perhaps he'll have recovered quite a bit by then,will have the suppleness back to ride as he can...I expect well see him go well before the last col, 2 to go for example
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    David Millar in one of his blog entries

"Oh yeah, and Vino is the hardest man in the pro peloton who is doing the ride of his life. He can cry if he wants to."

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/article/0,6802,s1-7-123-16275-1,00.html

Sums iit up completely
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

The king of this type of move was Jelle Nijdam in the mid to late 80s. He pulled it off a few times. I've often wondered if Wiggins could do this - Millar has tried on occasions.

Mcgee pulled it off in 2005. Just a shame Vinokourov latched onto his wheel :cry:
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    Mcgee pulled it off in 2005. Just a shame Vinokourov latched onto his wheel :cry:[/quote]

So Vino was lucky then :lol::lol: bit like today really :lol:
    It aint all over yet,Astana can play the cards right now as 3 of their riders could win it.
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose