Don't complain about the yoofs...

ChrisLS
ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
...Cyclechat is all well and good, but very cosy. I nipped over there yesterday and someone was complaining about the "yoofs" on mountain bikes in Bikeradar. We need all the yoofs we can get on bikes to keep the sport going. Some BMXers are also track riders and some of the TdF riders are mountain bikers as well...so come on stop knocking the yoof...
...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...

Comments

• while before the weekend and towards the start of this week it was like a lush green jungle, with lots of interesting wildlife and plants, yesterday and today it much more resembles an arid texan desert with dustballs blowing about.
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    while before the weekend and towards the start of this week it was like a lush green jungle, with lots of interesting wildlife and plants, yesterday and today it much more resembles an arid texan desert with dustballs blowing about.

Perhaps because you've been withholding your buffoonery.

That's the very reason I haven't bothered going there. I would imagine it's very cliquey.... As various other cycling forums seem to be :evil:
  • To prevent this, we will be appointing clique police on Bikeradar whose job it will be to randomly impersonate people and insult their on-line friends in their name, thus preventing anyone here getting too pally.

In addition we will regularly cause people whose views are known to be diametrically opposed to swap usernames, and of course when someone gets too well known and popular, we'll just ship him or her off to one of the splinter forums that we have cleverly caused to be founded for this very purpose.
    John Stevenson
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    To prevent this, we will be appointing clique police on Bikeradar whose job it will be to randomly impersonate people and insult their on-line friends in their name, thus preventing anyone here getting too pally.

In addition we will regularly cause people whose views are known to be diametrically opposed to swap usernames, and of course when someone gets too well known and popular, we'll just ship him or her off to one of the splinter forums that we have cleverly caused to be founded for this very purpose.
    :lol:
  • Mister Paul
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...Cyclechat is all well and good, but very cosy.

That's the very reason I haven't bothered going there. I would imagine it's very cliquey.... As various other cycling forums seem to be :evil:

Come over and try it. You'd be most welcome.
    ChrisLS wrote:
    Cyclechat is all well and good, but very cosy

I agree, I've been hovering between both and I do think that BR is getting better. Cyclechat has a certain weird feeling to it that I'm not comfortable with.
  • ChrisLS
    :D:D ...bring on the clique police John...

...yep I think BR is getting better 8) 8)... (creep and grovel mode)...keep up the good work...(creep and grovel)
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    ChrisLS wrote:
    Cyclechat is all well and good, but very cosy

I agree, I've been hovering between both and I do think that BR is getting better. Cyclechat has a certain weird feeling to it that I'm not comfortable with.
    There's a good comment from Gavin Weeks in the Office:
    The simple fact is people hate change, they are scared of whats new and prefer to stay within their comfort zone.
    It's the clinging to the comfort blanket, I think, which puts me off from being more active over there at the moment.

And it's a potential problem for any of the splinter fora that have been set-up or co-opted. Unless they get a significant influx of fresh blood - not just the refugees - there's a risk that the new fora will fail to evolve.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    ChrisLS wrote:

If you haven't bothered having a look you wont know though will you? :wink: . I flit about quite a few cycling fora and they all seem (to me) to have cliques and 'in' jokes I can see what might be a few new ones forming here, hell there's probably someone right now thinking "bloody cliquey **** ers. Fora are there to be used as and when we wish to use them and I personally do that :)
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • ChrisLS
    ...Spesh...yes I agree, and there does seem to be new names appearing now, some of whom seem to have been members for a while and are now posting more...
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    ...Spesh...yes I agree, and there does seem to be new names appearing now, some of whom seem to have been members for a while and are now posting more...

Hi, there! :)

One of the reasons that I'm posting more is because, since the mass exodus, there's time to reply. Some of the faster and more prolific typists meant that by the time I'd formulated a reply a thread had moved on. I'm a very slow typist! I swear, that on one occasion, I went to make a cup of tea and when I came back there were another 2 pages on the thread I'd been reading.
    Another is because it's pretty quiet here at the moment there's space to develop an 'on-line personality' - I've not posted often so you don't know me. I hope that'll change.

Anyway, hello!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    Crapaud wrote:

Hi, there! :)

One of the reasons that I'm posting more is because, since the mass exodus, there's time to reply. Some of the faster and more prolific typists meant that by the time I'd formulated a reply a thread had moved on. I'm a very slow typist! I swear, that on one occasion, I went to make a cup of tea and when I came back there were another 2 pages on the thread I'd been reading.
    Another is because it's pretty quiet here at the moment there's space to develop an 'on-line personality' - I've not posted often so you don't know me. I hope that'll change.

Anyway, hello!

Same here. I had a job where I had no access to a computer, so by the time I got home etc everything had been more or less said (I'm a slow typist too :( ). Since I retired I've had more time, but my name isn't well known (though I was on C+ for a few years but with a name change due to changing to cable) just a little fish in a big pond. I'm quite happy to be here, there and anywhere else my fancy takes me - I'm a free agent (or a forum tart :lol: ) I don't really care 8)
    Colin N.

• Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    To prevent this, we will be appointing clique police on Bikeradar whose job it will be to randomly impersonate people and insult their on-line friends in their name.
    How do I apply for this job?
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...Cyclechat is all well and good, but very cosy. I nipped over there yesterday and someone was complaining about the "yoofs" on mountain bikes in Bikeradar. We need all the yoofs we can get on bikes to keep the sport going. Some BMXers are also track riders and some of the TdF riders are mountain bikers as well...so come on stop knocking the yoof...

I am a roadie and a mountain biker. It is a cliche to say that mountain bikes are ridden by youths. I go to the 7stanes centres regularly and have done the odd endurance race Most mountain bikers I see are over 30 and there are a fair number with ridiculously expensive bikes. Hardly the domain of 'da yoot' :? .

I dont see anything wrong with cycle chat or the people who post over there. It was up and running before the diaspora from here and it should be accepted that the people who left made this forum's predecessor the success it was. At the same time there is nothing wrong with this forum either. I am impressed by the main BR site. There seems to be a lot of good stuff on it and has a lot more going for it than just the forums.
    I have pain!
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    ivancarlos wrote:
    ChrisLS wrote:

I am a roadie and a mountain biker. It is a cliche to say that mountain bikes are ridden by youths. I go to the 7stanes centres regularly and have done the odd endurance race Most mountain bikers I see are over 30 :? .

Yeah, exactly :evil: :twisted: :x

Bloody youngsters

:roll: :evil: :cry::cry::cry:

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    Yoofs....

Youre kidding right. If some of the roadiestook their heads out of their 1965 tour resul analasys books for five seconds they may actually realise these yoofs are as old as they are. Im assuming they havent even bothered to go to a xc race - the vets & masters fields are the largest categories.

At the end of the day there are loads of guys like me, my primary love is xc racing, yet I normally average about 200 miles on the road and have just bought a cx bike.

I love riding bikes end of, dont care if its dirt, dhill or commuting, and in over 20 years ive never failed to be amazed at how close minded and im right youre wrong, some roadies are. Open your minds a bit you may just like what you see.
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • bigdawg wrote:
    in over 20 years ive never failed to be amazed at how close minded and im right youre wrong, some roadies are. Open your minds a bit you may just like what you see.

Back in the early 90s, Bicycle Guide mag in the US ran an article about how you could do most of the things people were then doing on MTBs on a road bike with fat tyres.

They were inundated with letters of close-minded anguish... from mountain bikers.

There are people in both camps with absolutely stupid attitudes. The dissing of Lycra clothing by people who've never tried it always amuses me, but the belief that mountain biking is somehow inferior to road cycling is just as daft.

It seems to be an Anglophone thing. Grown ups playing on bicycles is still frowned upon in English-speaking societies, so we have to compensate by being absurdly serious about our chosen branch of cycling. That's either being a 'serious cyclist' on the road whose rides are 'workouts' and who is always 'training', shackled to the HRM and the PowerTap or it's 'extreme sport' mountain biking with a big dose of bad attitude to over-compensate for the fact you're leaping about on an over-grown BMX.

I ride mountain bikes and road bikes because they're both bloody good fun. If I ever lose sight of that, please have me taken out and shot.
    John Stevenson
  • ChrisLS
    ...couldn't agree more John, I also ride bikes, whatever type, 8) 'cause it's good fun :D ...hell, I even enjoy the ride to work and back! :D
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    ChrisLS wrote:

Cliquey forums do my nut in.
  • Mister Paul
    ChrisLS wrote:

People who refuse to get involved with them are as responsible for any apparent cliqueness.

Really, you should pop over. There have been plenty of newbies over the last few days, and they seem happy to stay.
    ChrisLS wrote:

All the cycling fora I have been on or looked at seem to have *'cliques' (bit like 'real life'). Either ignore them, join them, wind 'em up (pointed stick's handy), or just crack on :wink:
    I might be paranoid :roll:
    Colin N.

• penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...Cyclechat is all well and good, but very cosy. .

I think that is true. However, I like Cyclechat as I like well, good and cosy :wink:
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I would imagine it's very cliquey

I don't think that's an accurate supposition - however, give the recent influx of members from the old C+ forum a little time and all that may change :lol:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been on both, but finding that some of the boards are relatively inactive.

I also find it a real pain when some people post the same questions on both boards - and often more than once on each!!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..