Is this video real or fake?

Bronzie
Bronzie Posts: 4,927
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
It looks real...................but smoke coming off the guys tyre..........I dunno :?

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bronzie/images/BurnoutinZimbabwe.wmv

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    It looks real enough to me. I suppose if the tarmac was hot enough as well, it wouldn't take too much to make the tyre smoke.
  • Chris90
    Chris90 Posts: 374
    Dunno but I laugh everytime I see it!
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    Not sure about smoke, though I have experience as to how hot road surface temperatures get in similar countries. I have seen a fine dust deposit (like talc) on such roads at certain times of the year, could be a possibility though.
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    In the old days we all used to that. Winter training in the garage. Then I bought a turbo trainer :lol:
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I liked his aero clothing, expect to see that making an appearance in next year's TdF :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    In the documentary about the making of the film Grand Prix they detailed how they got the F2 cars that were mocked up to look like F1 cars to spin/smoke their wheels at the start of races (something which F2 cars couldn't really do) which basically involved putting something which I can't remember on the ground under the wheels....I expect this guy uses a similar trick.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Yorkshireman
    In the documentary about the making of the film Grand Prix they detailed how they got the F2 cars that were mocked up to look like F1 cars to spin/smoke their wheels at the start of races (something which F2 cars couldn't really do) which basically involved putting something which I can't remember on the ground under the wheels....I expect this guy uses a similar trick.

About 40 years ago (how time flies :oops: ) we used to take part in m/cycle standing start sprints and to get the back tyres warm and sticky we would hold the front brake hard on (sometimes there would be someone in front with a block on a long shaft to stop the front wheel going forward), bleach would then be poured onto the road surface just in front of the rear tyre, 1st gear, ease forward onto the bleach, wind the throttle wide open, drop the clutch ... and Bingo ... Spin. Loads of white clouds around the back end, tyre gets very hot, very sticky, very very grippy. Move to start position, wait for timer and ... Blast off :lol: . I doubt that that kid would be using that technique though.
    Colin N.

• proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    In the documentary about the making of the film Grand Prix they detailed how they got the F2 cars that were mocked up to look like F1 cars to spin/smoke their wheels at the start of races ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

Just so happens that as a lad I went with my dad to the Dutch Grand prix, Zandvoort, 1966 I think. Seem to remember cars with cameras mounted on the front going round (not in the actual race though) filming for the Grand Prix film.

If I remember correctly Jack Brabham won in his Brabham-Repco. Went to the big after race dinner at the Bowers Hotel and met all the stars. Graham Hlll, Jim Clark, Jo Bonnier, Dan Gurney et al.

First time I'd seen a Ford Mustang too. Looked amazing to my young eyes.

Oh them were the days!
  • broachboy
    broachboy Posts: 429
    :shock: Just wish I could do that on my fixie at the traffic lights in front of all the cars, on the commute into / from work :wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Yorkshireman
    Good front brake Andy, Dusty/gritty car park (preferably empty), get your weight right over the front wheel, and ... Practice, practice, practice :wink:
    Colin N.

• broachboy
    Good front brake Andy, Dusty/gritty car park (preferably empty), get your weight right over the front wheel, and ... Practice, practice, practice :wink:

Colin,

I'll just take out some medical insurance which covers me for said car park activities and give it a go :lol::wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Yorkshireman
    Way to go Andy. Who Dares Wins (and all that) ... Don't forget to post the video link up :roll: I'm not sure if I saw something on You Tube last year (or maybe a couple of years ago) with some USA courier's doing tricks, including doughnuts, had a look around earlier on but no luck finding anything yet :?
    Colin N.

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I can't get it to work on my pc... bugger.
  • broachboy
    Way to go Andy. Who Dares Wins (and all that) ... Don't forget to post the video link up :roll:

Colin...

Less of the encouragement :shock: :?

you're making me feel that I ought to really go out and do it... :shock: :? :roll: :wink:

..I'm not sure that any passing motorist in Wolverhampton would be willing to video the action though..

more like steal the camera :? :wink:

:idea: maybe one of the Wheelers would oblige :?:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018