Acid Reflux

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2007 in The bottom bracket
Anyone suffer? I seem to have developed a nasty case of it. I'd had an ache in my upper abdomen for a bit and chest pain, so off I went to the GP's. Thought it would either be gall bladder or a gastric acid thing, so got sent off for a blood test / liver function. That all came back fine

I'm down to getting it when I sit down now which is better but the whole thing is rather disconcerting.

Any tips? I munch my way through a lot of antacids at the moment :x

I've got a couple of wisdom teeth I need to get out and apparantly dental problems can bring it on....
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Neilums
    Neilums Posts: 93
    I suffer from it periodically, particularly after having eaten raw (spring)onions and strong garlicy things, as well as drinking black coffee and alcohol (all the good stuff). I usually get the obligatory heart burn and sore throat, and can feel quite lethargic if it gets quite bad.

A contributing factor seems to be a weak valve at the stomach opening (diagnosed after an endescopy). I was on a proton pump inhibtor (PPI) called lansoprozole for a couple of months which brought down the reflux and therefore helped with the sore throat so now I manage the condition by controlling my diet and taking anacids if necessary. I also try to sleep on my back.

Interesting to hear that dental problems can trigger it. My wisdom teeth are growing sidewards...
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    I'd try Gastrocote tablets, they work better than simple antacids, OTC from your local chemist. (I used to sell them many years ago, so I do know a bit about what I'm talking about - OK, makes a change :D )
    Avoid hot, spicey foods, booze & caffeine (Yep, complete bitch!) if it doesn't settle down, then a trip to the Drs is called for.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    It's a common symptom of coeliac disease, which I have, and can cause a hiatus hernia, which I've also got. Lucky me.

My consultant prescribed a pretty powerful antacid drug but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. I'll check when I go home next (which'll be tomorrow). They work a treat. Added afterwards: the lansoprozole mentioned by Neilums above could well be it.

I was told a number of foodstuffs can cause excess acid production; caffeine, alcohol, citric acid, chocolate, spicy food etc. The one activity that guarantees to make it worse for me is when I put weight on (a novel concept for me that has only happened since I switched to a gluten free diet). A good excuse to get out on your bike! :wink:
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    I suffer from it as well. A few months ago it was getting so bad I went to the docs about it. He gave me Nexium which did the trick at controlling the production of excess acid in my stomach.
    My diet is good, I'm not overweight and I do quite a lot of exercise. The doc reckons in my case it could be stress-related and/or slouching over my desk at work
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    Ive always had troubles with acid. I tend to use the acid blockers (zantac etc).

Doctor basically has told me to avoid the things that trigger it.
    I did have some relief for a few months after breaking my leg.
    Doctor seem to thing this could have beed a few things.
    a) being imobile i had less access to nasty food
    b) the large dosages of anti-biotics I had in hospital.

Apparently there is a bacteria/virus in the stomach that causes problems like this that could have been suppressed by the anti-biotics.

I have just changed my diet to avoid the stuff that causes it.

The real killer for me is garlic.

Tux
  • turbo_tim-2
    turbo_tim-2 Posts: 5
    edited July 2007
    Suffered badly from this a few years ago, ended up getting a scope shoved down my throat into my stomach looking for anything worrying . All was clear, but I got the following advice:

1) Drink less coffee. (I drank gallons daily)
    2) Stress is a major contributor. Do something about it. (I was /am stressed out, all work related)
    3) Stay off Ibuprofen if you can (I was on max daily doses for a couple of years following a nasty motorcycle smash)
    4) Lose some weight. (For me , see #3) Excess gut presses on diaphragm, pushing things where they shouldn't be.

Had another op on my back and all is now well. Stopped the Ibuprofen, lost weight, got fit, and reflux has gone away. :D

If you can't fix it Zantac will become your friend

PS having read some other posts, now remember that certain foods were bad at triggering it. As mentioned, pastry, and biscuits. Wine and beer too. Hope you can get over it otherwise your diet will be miserable! :lol:
  • Comes annd goes for me, I had an underdeveloped sphincter (valve) at the top fo stomach/oesaphagus. When I was younger I had projectile vomiting as a result which was fun. I have found that food and drink have the biggest effect, cider is a real killer, but worst of all are any foods with pastry in them.
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    Try GAVISCON can be bought at any chemist.I had same trouble 20 years ago.Stomach fed up of my shift work pattern's.Full meals at 1-00 am and so on.Works for me but we are all different.Good luck.
  • Simon Withers
    Simon Withers Posts: 1,748
    Had the same problem early last year for a few months until I went to fhe doc's. He thought that while helicobacter pylori was unlikely he'd arrange for a stool test. which confirmed hp was present. Three drugs taken together did the job and it hasn't returned.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068673/

And NHSdirect also have info and links

Personally I tend to avoid too many chalk tablets since getting a kidney stone after using lots of them one summer.You can buy ranitidine75mg tablets from supermarkets reasonably cheaply, and gaviscon type tabs or suspension.

If you need more regularor frequent medication the doctor will give you omeprazole and gaviscon advance that you could take often. I prefer to avoid taking stuff every day if I can.

TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Harve
    Harve Posts: 14
    I have this and have been taking the anti acid tablets from the doctors for a while with not to much success.........the following may be worth a go if you have not already give it a try........I had an allergy test today that lasted about 45 mins at a cost of £45, its a simply process but the results turned up some interesting points, half the things i have been eating thinking they were ok for me have been causing a problem such as creating bad bacteria in the bowel , leading to pressure on the stomach causing an acid problem, it found i had a yeast allergy, melon, dried fruit, mushrooms, skin on baked potatoes, and a few other dodgy E numbers you get in chinese take outs.........it may be worth you thinking about.....
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    since you have not yet done the usual things this is not the time to hand over dosh to the pe0ple with the divining rods.
    I have a friend who went to a practitioner who stuck a candle in each of his ears , lit them , and hummed for a while. We will have to wait and see if it worked. It seemed to elevate his mood anyway.

Apart from skin prick and patch testing here is a link to proper antibody testin for allergies andfood intolrance that is easily done if you pay for it.Whethter it leads to a cure or improvement seems possible but the significance of the results is a matter for debate in many cases. I think I would give it a go if I had a mystery allergy.
    http://www.homeinonhealth.com/categories.php?cPath=3

TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Harve
    Harve Posts: 14
    thats a very similar test to what I had, no divining rods there !.......plus the test they do on a machine thrown in.....like you say Terry its worth a go....
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I get it when I've been unhealthy for any time - lack of exercise, overeating, drinking (especially spirits) etc. Perhaps I deserve it? I reckon keeping fit helps. Type of food seems to make little difference.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    OK, few things to add. Lifestyle changes are always the first avenue. No point filling yourself full of meds if you can get an improvement from reducing trigger factors.

Start simple and wotk up, so do try simple antacids before progressing up the scale.

BUT: "heartburn" particularly if it is persistant should be investigated as there can be several more serious causes that no amount of meds will resolve- thats why the packets always have the caution of seeking advice. if you are unsure, see GP, who will likely arrange a gastroscopy if the need is present. Yep, unpleasant, but a potentially important investigation if it diagnoses a more serious problem. In your case, with symptoms worsening and being more persistant, it is highly likely a scope may be in order, subject to the history you provide your GP.
  • OldSeagul
    OldSeagul Posts: 574
    Try training yourself to sleep on your left side. The stomach is a bit like a large curved pear, the top of which points up towards your right shoulder area. Therefore, if you lie on your right side, the liquid in your stomach travels downwards into your throat. If you lie on your left side, the liquid in your stomach stays where it is, as it cannot travel upwards.

This was all told to me by the doctor's receptionist many years ago, as she suffered from acid reflux until she started sleeping on her left side. I have since always slept on my left side and can guarantee it works.
    The people who turn their swords into ploughshares, generally end up working for the people who kept their swords!
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    I've been suffering from this on and off ever since starting cycling 18 months ago. Coincidence i'm sure :!: . I have heard that exercise increases the production of stomach acid. My understanding is that the stomach does not have a store of acid but the body produces acid on demand as you eat food and that reflux is simply acid in the wrong place due it leaking out of the sphincter valve rather than too much acid. I got blood tests which revealed only a slight iron deficiency and was prescribed some of the proton pump inhibitors lansoprazole and omeprazole as well as rantitidine but none seem to help. The lansoprazole/zantac made me feel nauseous.
    I'm working on trying to eliminate triggers in my diet.I'm a bit scared of this as soon i'll have nothing left to eat :( I eat a healthy diet but it seems that many healthy foods can cause a reaction. Alcohol definitely is bad - it relaxes the muscle that controls the sphincter valve in the oesaphagus. Nut roast funnily enough. Good things seem to be rice and apples. Also eating smaller meals more often seems to help.I'm sure stress is a major factor as i had been very stressed for a long period before the onset. I'm not stressed now but the symptoms seem to be worse :?: Perhaps i need to try meditation or some such.
    Sorry to be of little help (excuse me while i belch :D) If you find a cure let us know.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yep...I've heard apples can actually help. Don't know how true this is.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.