Cheap first road bike: Dawes?

jswba
jswba Posts: 491
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
I've got a very small budget (sub £400) and am looking for a beginner's road bike (moving up from a hybrid). My LBS is keen on the Dawes Giro 400 at £360. I've been through the threads here and have only found one mention of it? Does anybody think it's decent? Will I find myself craving something else within 6 months? Any other suggestions?

I'm 6'2" with 35" inside leg. Seems to me that I'd need a 58cm frame, but the man says the 55cm Dawes will do me well (at least until I decide to upgrade). I've also scoured the web for cheap deals on Trek 1000, Spec Allez and Giant SCR3 but nobody's got my size on an offer that I can afford.

Thanks!

Comments

• inchcape
    inchcape Posts: 38
    you can still get the giant scr 3.0 in a 58.5 cm size at www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk for £350 which according to the scr sizing chart should be ok for your height.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Go for it!

For the price it's a fine starter machine, solid and reliable components.
    Will take full mudguards as well so great for all year round use.
    I don't recall any complaints about the Dawes Giro range in fact much praise as IIRC many use them as commuting steeds.

As for size, try before you buy.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    edited July 2007
    Spez are bringing out the 2008 models this month.

I got £130 off list for my Allez Sport, it's a 54cm frame, there were no Allez left in that size.

But there may be in a 58.

This was at my LBS who is an autherised dealer.

Check the Spez website and ring the nearest dealer, you never know, you may get one for £400

If not, nothing wrong with a Dawes
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Went to another LBS and picked up a 2007 Trek 1000 for under 400 smackers! A slightly larger frame but my gangly legs and arms found it v comfy.

Thanks all for help and advice. I'm a very happy owner of two bikes.
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    I've just bought a Carrera bike from halfords to use as when it's dirty outside as it has the same kit on it as a £500 Trek or Spesh, and it was reduced to £300 and I got it £280.
    Yes it's heavier but it's is a fine ride, and I can't complain.
    Great deal.
  • Seriously wouldnt go for a dawes my friend had one and warranty was bad :cry: The LBS had to sort it off their own back.