Bottom Pain!!!! ?

Castellod
Castellod Posts: 40
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I am new to this Site so be gentle. :D
I am 36, about 15 Stones, 5'7" tall, have always had Mountain Bikes but five weeks ago decided that I would change one of the XC bikes for a road bike, unfortunately I decided that it may be too much of a shock to my "rough" ride stile so in the end picked up what was advised, a Sirrus Pro 2007 Specialized Hybrid.
I guess maybe now I regret not having gone for a popper road bike, but then I have fallen in love with the Sirrus, and have started to actually learn the different riding style involved, though undoubtedly my techniques is still lacking.
I live in Ipswich and many times I have looked for clubs to join here, but so far have had no luck, and so I ride mostly on my own, ok with music and at times with my friend and neighbour, tough I feel I may be an impediment to a Club I would still love to join one and ride with other people that can teach me techniques.
I am averaging over 100 miles per week, well in 5 weeks the odometer says 1002 miles.
I have also managed to increase my average speed by two mph, but feel that when I manage to get to my ideal weight, which is just over 11 stones, I will be better.
Anyway, my burning question, weight and padded short aside, is there any great secret to reduce the pain of a sore arse after a long ride, without increasing the saddles size and or weight?

p.s. any riders out there from the Ipswich area, I would love to join you on your rides, if you do not mind, so if you can, let me know.

DC

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Saddle choice is a very personal thing...........something that's fine for some is agony for another.

My personal choice is San Marco Rolls (old school) or Fizik Arione............but others I know can't stand either. Maybe just a case of trying a few to find one that "fits".

A decent pair of shorts may also help, although I guess you already have "roadie shorts" with a synthetic chamois insert. Again, a very personal choice, but the Assos ones are great for me, but they are crazy money...........plus side is they last forever if you stay upright.

Finally, try coating the chamois with Sudocrem, or if you can afford it, Assos Chamois cream...........it helps stop soreness from chaffing.

Of course it could be that as an MTB rider you spend much more time out or moving around the saddle..........long hours in the same position on a road bike may just take getting used to, but if you stick with it, your sit area will toughen up to the point where it looks like old leather............nice!

Have a look on British Cycling to find the nearest club to you and give their club run a try............it's well worth the effort, even if the first club you try is not right for you, try another as there is bound to be a local club you will gel with. Joining a club was the best move I ever made!
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/clu/cluClubFinder.asp - search under Eastern region for your location
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    A new saddle may help, but you have to try it first.

I'm 5'8 and can't get much below 12 stone, so don't worry about the weight, it's the fitness that counts!

If you want a runout on a local event, there is a Bike Events Suffolk Coast Ride on August 5th.

It starts & finishes in Woodbridge, the long route is 58 miles, the half way stop is a chip shop on the beach :lol:

It's in aid of the Anthony Nolan Trust, good cause.

You can register on the day, if you want.

You may meet a few local club members on this one, or it could just be a nice ride with other cyclists
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    Get yourself down to a bike shop with a good range of saddles you can sit on - I have a Fizik Pave with no gel - I find this comfy enough to ride without padded shorts, though I get mild numbness after about 40-50 miles.... nothing too unbearable.

Recently bought a Spez. Toupe "body geometry" saddle - which you are sized-up for using a special pad (there are two different sizes you can purchase dependent on the size of your "sit-bones") - A lot of people rave about this saddle, however despite having the gel version, this is not as comfy as the Fizik - No numbness, but a sore backside!
    I therefore prefer the Fizik.

It seems that different brands suit different shapes.
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    Have you tired adjusting the saddle? I moved mine fully forward and that solved the problem. You could try the same and gradually move it backwards if it doesn't work fits time.
  • OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    Just be aware that if you move your saddle forward/backward, don't move it so far that the position of your knees fore/aft of the cranks changes, since this could induce knee pain.
    I'm a bit of a hypocrite, as far as this goes though, since I moved my Spez. saddle forward in order to force my sit bones on to the more comfy part of the saddle!