Bike Security When Camping?

stage_fright
stage_fright Posts: 218
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Have a holiday under canvas planned for middle of August, and current thinking is to take 3 mountain bikes (no room for my road bike alas!). Mine is an old clunker, but the other 2 are ok bikes - any suggestions for keeping them secure on the site as we have to make a couple of day trips out during the week?

I was going to chain and shackle them all together to make things hard - but the tent frame is hardly a secure thing to chain to. They can go in the car overnight.

Not having been camping in many years - what is the current best practice here? All ideas gratefully considered.
Chocolate makes your clothes shrink

Comments

• dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    Chain them to a large tree.
    Will stop villans without bolt cutters or chainsaw.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    You could try asking the site owners if they have a room/shed/garage where you could leave them.

george
  • Ticaboy
    Ticaboy Posts: 314
    Try an SAS spiral ground anchor:

http://www.sasproducts.com/acatalog/Spy ... nchor.html

Not sure how, but they are Sold Secure Gold. Coupled with a SSG Chain, the set-up makes for a pretty impressive solution.

I bought one for a recent trip to Peak District, and they are easy to install. The b*gger is getting it back out of the ground. Just make sure you have a long enough bar to give the extra "purchase" else it's tough going.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Chain them together during the day. When you are on site.

Put them in the tent and chain them together if you are in the car
    Richard

Giving it Large