Job Decision

squired
squired Posts: 1,153
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
Today I had to tell my boss that I've accepted a job at another company, and thus was handing in my resignation.

I currently work in the square mile, and will be moving across to another part of London, which is a big part of the reason behind the move (I'm so fed up of this area). However, I've also been getting calls today from an agency that put me forward for a couple of other jobs - I've got final stage interviews for both. When I spoke to him I said that I've accepted the offer, and I believe that it would be wrong to continue with the others. Of course he said it is the best time to continue with the others, as I can get more money out of them, etc. However, I can't help but think the reason he is pushing is that he doesn't want to miss out on the commission he'd get if I took one of these roles instead.

Am I being stupid by sticking to my guns and going with the company whose offer I've already verbally accepted, or should I be going along to these other interviews before I sign the contract?

Comments

• Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    How much do you know about the other jobs? Go for the one You think is best for You after weighing them all up, and good luck :wink: .
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • recruitment agents are gits, they are out for as much moeny they can make. They make quite a bit if they place you (as in, definitely a 4-figure sum or even 5 if you're on the big money). Their commission is also normally proportional to the final salary they get you, so the only reason they are trying to get you to go to the other two is twofold - 1) to decrease the chance that their placement of you (somewhere) will fall through, and 2) to maximise the salary they place you on, and thus their commission.
    But obviously both these are to your advantage aswell.
    You are probably feeling triumphant at having landed the job and have already started pysching yourself up to working there, not to mention developed a feeling of warmth towards the new company for giving you the job, but do be aware that a verbal offer, and a verbal acceptance, is only worth the paper it's written on :wink: so don't let your heart rule your head, and bear in mind that it can't actually do any harm to go to the interviews for the others.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    A moral dilema.
    The questions I'd ask of myself are.

Which job do I really want and why?

How much more money will be in my bank at the end of each month (After that Fat Jock Twat at No10 has stuffed his sticky fingers in!) and is it so much more that it's worthwhile
    bothering about?

If I've accepted job "A" already, how pissed-off will they be if I say, "Oh, actually, I've changed my mind now, sorry" and could this impact on my career in the future? (Assuming your comment of working in the square mile means that you're actually doing something in the "Apprentice" league of things and not just the office boy! :wink: )
    (Oh, I see you haven't signed anything yet, but could they still sue you for breaching a verbal agreement?)

"Is the agency being honest about me getting loads more moolah and am I so bothered about that"?

"Have I got time to do the other interviews and consider all offers or will my current offer be withdrawn before then?"

Agencies lying about jobs? Heavens never happened to me :evil:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    After that Fat Jock fool at No10 has stuffed his sticky fingers in

What fu**wit comment.

BTW Squired. It will do you no harm to investigate the other positions. It would be crappy if you turned them down straight off because of some kind of (possibly) misplaced loyalty to your new employer, just to find out later that you regret not even considering them.
  • If I've accepted job "A" already, how pissed-off will they be if I say, "Oh, actually, I've changed my mind now, sorry"
    If he's since decided to take job B instead, then at that point it doesn't really matter how pissed off company A will be.
    The thing you don't want to happen though is accept job A, go to interview with B, decide you still prefer A, start work at A, but then A finds out you went to interview with B between accepting the job and starting it.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Thanks for all your comments. I'm still undecided in terms of what to do. I see going to new interviews as almost being like cheating on a new girlfriend!

To make matters worse, my current company is now talking about making a deal for me to stay. There is talk of letting me work from home three days a week, among other things.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    squired wrote:

There is talk of letting me work from home three days a week, among other things.

That'd do it for me!!! A 2 day week, woo hoo!!
  • squired wrote:
    Thanks for all your comments. I'm still undecided in terms of what to do. I see going to new interviews as almost being like cheating on a new girlfriend!

To make matters worse, my current company is now talking about making a deal for me to stay. There is talk of letting me work from home three days a week, among other things.
    There's issues with accepting a counter-offer to consider that may not be immediately obvious - such as the fact that they will always have it in the back of their minds that you once tried to leave and thus might again - and might see you as a risk, and thus pass you over for promotion or not give you so much responsibility.
  • BigWomble
    BigWomble Posts: 455
    I'm a transport planner, and have agencies ringing me up all the time (which is actually quite flattering :D) . If you go for your new job, or stay with your old job, the agencies will be in contact!
    Ta - Arabic for moo-cow