Lawyers in the Black!

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited July 2007 in Campaign
Read this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/p ... 093977.ece

It made me choke on my cornflakes, noting that miners were being mined of their just dues, kept waiting for compensation, all the while lawyers and bureaucrats rubbing their hands in anticipation of easy pay-outs!

Why is it that Gov't departments get these issues so consisently WRONG?
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• Patrick Stevens
    Patrick Stevens Posts: 13,398
    Interestingly enough, firms such as mine never even got a sniff at all this work - it was all divvied out between the firms, such as Thompsons who did Trade Union work.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Patrick,

I would never infer that your firm were complicit in this blatant rip off, despite your N.Wales location.

Your comment does provoke however the question, which is:

'Were the Trade Unions (NUMW) complicit in fixing arrangements with retained lawyers?
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Patrick Stevens
    Patrick Stevens Posts: 13,398
    NervexProf wrote:
    Patrick,

I would never infer that your firm were complicit in this blatant rip off, despite your N.Wales location.

Your comment does provoke however the question, which is:

'Were the Trade Unions (NUMW) complicit in fixing arrangements with retained lawyers?

Every aspect of the whole business has been subject to allegations of referral fees and dodgy dealings.

Unfortunately, the whole bung culture has been imposed on the profession by the Competition Commission which theatened to take action against the profession unless it relaxed it's ban on referral fees. Now, the result is that large areas of practice bear a closer resemblance to professional football than a profession.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    The Union of Democratic Mineworkers made quite a bit too.
    They charged everyone £350 , before they paid out each compensation cheque.
    Two claims then £700!!!

I come from Easington Colliery, (where they filmed Billy Elliot)

In the late 50's I watched my grandfather die from pneumoconiosis , sat in a chair, with an oxygen bottle , and my nana looking after him. But the death certificate said pneumonia, so no compensation, even with help from the British Legion, as he was in the army before being a miner.

My father also got nothing as he was over the age limit, After an aortic embolism he had surgery, but after 5 years, the false heart valve and steel and gortex aorta failed, he died on the operation table. The doctor had said that the problem had been caused by working down the mine, but I can't remember the full facts now.

He also had dermatitis and white finger. but after several years trying to claim, I let it drop.

rant over

george