north london clubs

cookiemonster
cookiemonster Posts: 668
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
hello

Im a very recent convert from mountain biking, After a couple of laps of regents park i think I'm ready for big bad world of road biking :)

I'm interested in a club or group for weekday evening rides in London - maybe just lapping Regents or Hyde park, and then rides at the weekend (when im not doing the mtb thing...). I'm looking for decent training and exercise , but coz im new I've no illusions that i'll anything but crap. So, I guess I'm after a club that's fairly friendly with a good spread of abilities.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Jon

Comments

• hi

i'm in maida vale, so regents park way for evenings is probably the best bet; and of course wider afield for weekends.

There seem to be loads of London clubs to the south, but so much up this way...

jon
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i dont know that way, im in barnet and there is a club up here but i havent ridden with them yet
  • Stwutter
    Stwutter Posts: 362
    I'm in Barnet too. I've found clubs a bit hit & miss. Won't name names, but the first bunch I went with dropped me on their Sunday run when I was a starter, and went off into the distance (a lot fitter now thank god!). The only other person I was with was in the same boat - we both agreed to pass the following Sunday... Did also go out with another club a while ago, and they were the complete opposite - so laid back we almost stopped on anything over a 2% climb.

I guess it's a case of hunting around and finding the club that's right for you. They both may suit other people, but I'm kinda looking for something in the middle. If anyone has any experiences or is a member of clubs not a trillion miles from Barnet, by all means chip in!
    Knackered? Me?
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Barnet CC

Finsbury Park CC

CC Islington

Whitewebbs CC
    Still breathing.....
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    stwutter i need to know which is which as im not a member any and would like to join one in barnet and dont want to be abandoned halfway... i have a feeling that the one that meets by Barnet Odeon is the one i want though not the one that meets in finchley by tally ho♠
  • Stwutter
    That's St Christphers. Pauluscp on this forum goes with them - I haven't. From what I gather there's not many left of them, but I think they still go out on Sundays.
    Knackered? Me?
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    What time on Sunday morning at Barnet odeon?
  • Stwutter
    Sorry - not sure. probably 9am I would think. IM Pauluscp or go on the British Cyclign Website for contact details - they don't have a website, but there's a contact e-mail address.
    Knackered? Me?
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    Also what is the name of the club that meets at tally Ho corner at 8.30?

Does anyone know someone from that club?