Bib Shorts - Santini, Giordana or dhb???

garethoccasionally
garethoccasionally Posts: 20
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
I am looking to buy a pair of bib shorts to replace my current endura waist shorts that seem to have got a bit 'thin'.

Can't afford the Assos at £100 which seem to be thought of as being perfect.

So I am considering either the dhb, having won C+ best buy, or the Giordana Tenax.

Has anyone tried Santini bibs with the 'twistgel' inserts?? If these are used by the pro teams they must be good?

Would welcome any views.

Thanks

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I am looking to buy a pair of bib shorts to replace my current endura waist shorts that seem to have got a bit 'thin'.

Can't afford the Assos at £100 which seem to be thought of as being perfect.

So I am considering either the dhb, having won C+ best buy, or the Giordana Tenax.

Has anyone tried Santini bibs with the 'twistgel' inserts?? If these are used by the pro teams they must be good?

Would welcome any views.

Thanks

I can't compare them with the other options on your list but I can say that, as the proud owner of 2 pairs :) I think the Giordana Tenax are excellent and unless I get a rush of blood to my head and spend big bucks to simply try Assos (and see what all the fuss is about :lol: ), I'll be buying more Tenax in the future!!
  • rohloff-rich
    rohloff-rich Posts: 232
    dhb's here - 3/4 length ones are lovely, will be buying normal length on the back of the performance of these
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I have a few pairs of the Giordana Tenax. Following a series of mistakes buying cheaper shorts, I found the Tenax and have stuck with them. Great bibs at a reasonable price.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    DHB.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Thanks for the comments,
    Any hints on size for the giordana as I'm not a typical Italian climber!! I'm 6'0", 32" waist and 33" leg.

PS. Has anyone tried the Santini 'twistgel' ?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Thanks for the comments,
    Any hints on size for the giordana as I'm not a typical Italian climber!! I'm 6'0", 32" waist and 33" leg.

PS. Has anyone tried the Santini 'twistgel' ?

I think I remember seeing the sizing charts on www.parker-international.co.uk somewhere. Check out the Giordona products!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    not got the twistgel ones but i do have santini bib shorts and they are really nice and comfy.

Couldnt compare them to any of your other chjoices though
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Endura make exellent kit.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    i have twistgels, awesome. especially as a guy has them on ebay at £28.99 bnip!
    i got 2 pairs
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • Another tenax wearer here. They are by far the best shorts I have bought. Never had any Assos but I can't belive they are much, if any, better.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    I have a pair of Giordana bib shorts. I wanted to get myself the best pair I could whatever they cost and went into Condor to try some on. My shortlist was down to Assos FI.13 S2, Giordana Body Clones and Gore Ozon. After trying them all on twice I went for the cheapest pair, the Giordanas. They are so comfortable you could literally forget you are wearing them, the shoulder straps don't get sweaty or rub as they are made of a special elasticated and perforated material. I would certainly not hesitate to recommend them to anyone on here.
    ________
    BMW Z4 HISTORY
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • rich g
    rich g Posts: 124
    I own DHB shorts & tights and both are very good value for money
  • May I suggest don't skimp. Initially, I liked my DHB bibs, for a day then I startd dropping my food and the bib didn't work :lol:

Sorry, Th DHB ar ok but I have found that th straps slide off the shoulders and that the pad wasn't great. I bought some Pearl Izumi from Evans cycles online and they had a split of the straps high up near the neck, problem solved and incredibly comfortable. I'm sure thre are other makes with this set-up. be careful. Bibs are the way to go but make sure they're right.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • I got some Santini twistgel and they are comfortable but the seams leave indentations in my thighs (unlike the DiMarchi's I have) and the 'Santini's World' lettering on the legs peeled off on a long ride.
  • J2R2
    J2R2 Posts: 850
    I would go for Santini's - I have a pair. Quite a few of the pro teams use them and I can't imagine the pro riders putting up with any old rubbish. Bear in mind though when buying Italian kit that their sizes are smaller than ours. I'm medium, but my pair of Santini shorts are large.
    I have a couple of pairs of Campagnolo bib shorts which are really comfy. I also have a pair of Castelli bibshorts with a 'kiss' insert which are great
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!