Recommend me a ride / accomodation

fred_easey
fred_easey Posts: 22
edited July 2007 in MTB rides
Hi,

My friend is getting married in September and for the stag he wants to forego the traditional trip to Eastern Europe / Handcuffing / Arrest scenario and instead go on a weekend cycle trip with the boys.

The dates are 17th - 19th August and will be a group of mixed experience (no beginners, but a couple of moderately unfit people). Needs to be relatively cheap to get to (presumably train), so I guess somewhere in England would be the preferred choice.

Some nice scenery would be good. Needs to be fairly road based (could probably handle those chipped over old railway tracks at a stretch).

We also need accommodation for Fri / Sat night. Needs to be fairly cheap (we were thinking youth hostel type places).

Can anyone recommend any suitable locations / accommodation?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Fred

/EDIT - Sorry forgot to say, everyone who is coming is based in (South) London

Comments

• How about making a beeline to Glentress? Great riding (red route is accessible for the ballsy beginner) and you've got Edinburgh on your doorstep during the festival. Peebles/Innerleithan has cheapy places to stay and you could get a minibus into Edinburgh for some quality shows on an evening and drinking until late (pubs all open until 3, clubs until 5). I live in Edinburgh and 10 of us did karting at Knockhill in the morning, red run at Glentress in the afternoon and two shows, curry and booze in the evening. A cracking day out by all accounts.

ps - bikes can be hired at Glentress, maybe a better idea than hoiking them all the way up from London. Kona Caldera - £18 per day if booked in advance (recommended)