Some Photos of old Classics

bagpusscp
bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
edited August 2007 in Road general
I know some / most of you will of seen these before, so plesae bare with me :? . Away for those of you who have not . A few old Classics . http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... otostream/
bagpuss

Comments

• GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    Very inspiring. They all look good. The green Mercian has stuck in my mind. Nice decals and colour!
  • Please excuse a small two minute ramble:

Isn't it great to see some of the care taken and nowadays unnecessary details built into these bikes. My mother did a lot of road riding in the 60's and still reminisces about her Dawes. Don't know which model, but she talk about the handlebars being engraved with scrollwork.
    Unfortunately said bike had a highly destructive meeting with a reversing van on Corporation Street in Rotherham. She never cycled after that.

The silver and gold Carlton is gorgeous. I was given a 1980's Carlton Kermesse in January. The owner, a family friend and neighbour knew his cancer would finish him and heard I wanted a road bike as a change from the MTB.

All I did was true the wheels, put on new tyres and tape, and clean up the cable guides. It runs smooth, and the gearchange puts my Scott MTB with all new drivetrain to shame. Thanks Frank wherever you are. I'd love to restore it to the standard of these pics.