cycling in Edinburgh

nicknick
nicknick Posts: 535
Relocation from York to Edinburgh is a possibility for me end of the year or next year, Can anyone who lives there tell me what its like for riding and living? Glentress is only 30 miles for mtbing but how easy is it to get out onto quiet roads etc? Also are there many local TT's RRs etc? Thanks!

Comments

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    nicknick wrote:
    Relocation from York to Edinburgh is a possibility for me end of the year or next year, Can anyone who lives there tell me what its like for riding and living? Glentress is only 30 miles for mtbing but how easy is it to get out onto quiet roads etc? Also are there many local TT's RRs etc? Thanks!

I too am moving from E Yorks up to Edinburgh in Sep/Oct. I am currently working in Glasgow and renting a small flat for Mon-Fri. I suggest you look at Edinburgh Road Club. I used to live there before heading south. IMO, E Yorks has a much better network of lanes and quiet roads, but there are options. There are 3 good cycle maps for the Edinburgh area which are worth looking at.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Lots of good routes from Edinburgh into the country. No matter where you are 15 mins max and you can be on nice quiet B roads. Even better for w/end if you can put your bike in a car as a half hour drive and you can be in cycling heaven with places like the Lamminmuir hills just outside Edinburgh. These hills are fantastic to cycle and offer a real challenge.

For MTBiking the Pentlands that circle Edinburgh are great and there are a lot of good routes which are mapped in most bike shops in Edinburgh.
    Brian B.
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    If you prefer group rides, here's one useful website.
    http://www.cycling-edinburgh.org.uk/

Or if you want to go it alone, there are excellent cycling maps, as a previous post said.
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    Thanks for your replies. I dont think anywhere will compare with the yorkshire wolds!, but it sounds positive. What im not looking forward to either, is the colder weather :)