To Club or not ?

andy h 1
andy h 1 Posts: 51
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all, i am relatively new to cycling again!!! and was wondering what the best way to develop my cycling fairly quickly would be? when i say develop i mean riding techniques ,advice, support ,routes etc etc would a club be best, or a friend or 2 or on my own? the club idea does appeal as it is a CTC section which i feel would be best for me initially, all comments would be very welcome, thanks.
A Holmes

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Go with a club unless you think that you won't be able to stand the pace. I know that when I joined VC Halton I was a little alarmed that the average speed on a ride from Widnes to Mold was about 22mph. Still, once you get caught up in the bunch you soon forget the pain messages from your legs. Clubs are a great place to pick up free advice and hard-won lessons about riding and bike maintenance etc.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Stwutter
    Stwutter Posts: 362
    I agree with the above, but try a few out for size, as cycling clubs can vary from the very friendly to the utterly obnoxious. It's best to aim for one that offers a range of rides, so you can join faster groups as you progress. If you go out with the nutters at first, it can be very off-putting.

E-mail and call a few - you can tell a lot simply by their response. I e-mailed one club recently that's near me, and you'd think I was trying to join the bloody freemasons.

Some are nice too! :lol:
    Knackered? Me?
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    I am sure a good club would let you have a couple of rides with them before you were asked to join.

Find out where they meet and go along for a ride to find out about them.

what area do you live in Andy ?

someone here may be able to suggest a club.

george
  • andy h 1
    andy h 1 Posts: 51
    Hi George , i live in Halifax West Yorks,actually i have a club in mind which is the Halifax CTC, which i feel would be a good starting point for me.
    A Holmes
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Have you seen there website

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/7530/

seems like only one more easy ride this "summer"

But they do have links to other clubs in the area too.

george
  • winkywonky
    winkywonky Posts: 228
    Join a a club, you wont regret it. I've started with the Liverpool Century and it is a blast.
    A mix of rides for all levels, on the club runs somebody will always make sure you get home. Plus chain gangs for training. The feeling of riding in a bunch can't be beaten. A lot does depend on fitness but any club worth their salt would look after you anyway. But as said not every club will be the same.
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    Halifax Imps (Imperials) are one of your local clubs and they seem ok. I'm with a sister club in the Huddersfield District Association and there are 16 clubs in the area - so plenty to go at including the CTC. Why not ride out with both for a couple of sessions - the local CTC to me (Huddersfield) meet on a weekday evening. If the Imps are too fast; you will be surprised if you stick with it to find that after a couple of tortuous rides you start to keep up with them
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    definitely join but choose care :D fully
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Now that I have a GPS I'd join a club. So when I get dropped by guys going an average of 22mph :shock: I can find my way home. 8)
  • richard_l
    richard_l Posts: 375
    andy h 1 wrote:
    Hi all, i am relatively new to cycling again!!! and was wondering what the best way to develop my cycling fairly quickly would be? when i say develop i mean riding techniques ,advice, support ,routes etc etc would a club be best, or a friend or 2 or on my own? the club idea does appeal as it is a CTC section which i feel would be best for me initially, all comments would be very welcome, thanks.

andy - do you yet know what your aims are from joining a club? Is it for relaxing leisure, for fitness, for competition, etc? For a lot of advice and techniques, (Particulalry if you want to develop over a short period of time) you might want to join a cycling club with a qualified coach rather than join a CTC group.