2 Peaks routes needed - where do you recommend

Arranging a weekend meet with a friend from Scotland, we're meeting in the Peaks as she's from Scotland and I'm on the south cost so it seems like a logical halfway location!

We'll be riding both days (Sat and Sun) so will probably need a fairly long run out on the Saturday (75-125k) and a shorter ride on the Sunday morning (a decent ride but still allowing time to drive home in the evening @ approx 5hrs each). Both rides would ideally start from the same place, and be near a hotel / B&B, but this is not essential.

I've no idea how big the Peaks area is (apologies for my ignorance!) so am entirely open to suggestion regarding the best bits and what to ride!

Routes to upload to a Garmin Edge would be useful too if anyone has them.

Cheers!
An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...

Comments

• Michuel
    Michuel Posts: 269
    Start Langsett YHA (near Penistone). Go to Holmfirth via any route. Go up Holme Moss (north). Go to Glossop. Turn left and up Snake. Continue to Ladybower reservoir and straight on up hill. Take left over Strines. This finishes at Langsett.

Or try Phil&Friends rote (on Aug 12). Start near Low Bradwell. Go to High Bradwell. Then to Langsett. Then to Holmfirth, Holme Moss, Glossop. Straight across at Glossop to Chapel en le Frith. Turn left there up (towards Sheffield) to Mam Nick. Drop down to Edale. then to Castleton. Then up Winnats. At top turn left, then a bit later left again to Peak Forest, then to Monsal Head (check map here I've forgotten intermediate village names). Then to Hathersage. Then to Bamford. At Ladybower Reservoir (Yorkshire Bridge) turn right towards Sheffield. Then turn left at Rivelin Valley to Bradwell. - Yoyu can also start this at Langsett YHA, or Hathersage YHA etc.

There are lots more routes - just pick some scenic/cycling names from maps and you'll find lots of routes.
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    yeah there are tons of good routes around here
    hope you enjoy yourself!
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    I can recommend either of the above - but neither is easy by any stretch. The first is a regular ride for me the Moss and Snake are both ok, if a long haul (particularly the moss). Strines (Ewden Beck) isd a serious sting in the tail.

The Phil and friends is a great route in many ways, but Winnatts is the worst thing ever (and I've been up some swines) so keep plenty in the tank for after that.
  • rohloff-rich
    rohloff-rich Posts: 232
    Where do I find the 'Phil and Friends' route - I've searched for it on here but I can't find it
    An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/routedetails.asp?id=8

As luck would have it....

This is the shorter route - about the distance you planned. Be aware though that some of the roads are busy. For the longer route turn right instead of left at Hope, over Winnats and first left (if you blink you'll miss it). Its a bit of a maze after that but you are headed to Litton, Monsal Head and then head back North for Ladybower reservoir (you are probably better planning your own route than getting lost) after which turn right and over to Sheffield.

The other ride is easy to navigate, very challenging and the busier bits are either wide or fast downhills (Circa 60-65 miles and you can always add a loop - over the counrty lanes between Penistone and Holmfirth there are lots of small roads avoiding the traffic - pas the windmills is popular and gives a good way marker if you check out multimap).
  • paulbricey
    paulbricey Posts: 84
    Good rides around here (rise the attached clockwise for maximum enjoyment !).....http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Castleton-loop
    Briceyinstockport
  • paulbricey
    paulbricey Posts: 84
    sorry, meant anticlockwise !!!
    Briceyinstockport