L'ETAPE DU TOUR 2007. How was it for you?

2»

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    RichA wrote:
    popette,

I decided to do it this time last year.

Places can generally be reserved from Septemeber. UK entrants are generally required to go through a tour operator. See here for a list of tour operators.

The route of the Tour is announced in mid October and the Etape is announced at the same time. (i.e. you may end up booking yourt spot before you know the route - it ususally alternates so expect it to be in the Alps next year)

I was a total novice, unfit and overweight. I didn't buy my bike until October. Got out on the bike a little from October-Christmas. Then the real training started in January and continued building until July when you can taper !!! It takes motivation and hard work but is very achieveable.

Do it next year. You won't regret it.

Thanks for the info re route announcements. The 2009 date coincides with husbands 40th birthday so I think we'll have to stick to then for our first etape. We have four very young children so not easy to go out for an evening, nevermind a week in the mountains.

I'm also a total novice - 5 months cycling now. Getting fitter but still got weight to lose. I'm watching the route on sky right now and even these guys seem to be struggling up the mountain they're on at the moment. What an acheivement to get to the finish.

will check out your blog later on
    popette
  • I agree. I got waggoned in the heat on the alpe last year. It is a real achievement to finish, but needs a good year's preparation, including a foreign tour on hills that length. It is just a different style of cycling to get used to. Keep going and you'll finish next year no problem. Getting as far as you did was a great effort in your first year. Courage!
    Dan
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    TomF - sorry to hear you had to pack but I'm heartened to hear that you want to try again. I wish a lot of luck for next year.

Cheers Andy (I assume you're the same AndyP from STW....).

the Etape is a massive challenge for anyone but even more so for those who are relatively new to cycling. The combination of the distance, the mountains and the heat combine to make this one tough event and if you don't know this up front then you'll struggle. It's impossible to re-create this challenge in the UK so I'd still advocate to anyone who wants to do it to travel to somewhere like France or Italy beforehand and get the experience of riding in the mountains.

You know, having now ridden in mountains (and in heat - a novelty this year!), I completely agree. I had completed a UK sportive of similar distance and similar levels of climbing, but this was completely different. Climbing for 20km means no respite, no free wheeling, and nowhere to hide.

While not new to cycling as such, I am new to road cycling and covering long(er) distances. It's a sport which really does require effort, and preferably over a number of years.

I fully intend to return to the mountains of France, and also to visit the mountains of italy and Spain, both from a purely pleasurable/turning up point of view and also for events like the Etape, GFs, etc.

It is a real achievement to finish, but needs a good year's preparation, including a foreign tour on hills that length. It is just a different style of cycling to get used to. Keep going and you'll finish next year no problem. Getting as far as you did was a great effort in your first year.

Cheers FTH. I guess most of what I would say in response, I have already written, but I particularly agree with the length of time to prepare - for me, 9 months wasn't enough given (a) where I was starting from (daily commuter, weekend MTBer) and (b) the nature of my working life (which is a PITA at the best of times).

For me, the experience has made me want to ride sooo much more (and i was already pretty obsessed with cycling anf bikes beforehand!).

First stop is joining a club. I think it would impose some discipline and structure. It will, I hope, also allow me to learn from those with so much more cycling knowledge and experience thatn I could ever hope to develop pn my own.

Still don't plan on shaving my legs, though....

Tom
  • Hey TTT, I wouldn't get too smug. I didn't finish last year in the heat, and said this year's would be hard, but I kicked your ass, and it was imo easier than last year (with a decnt bit of training this time, and a decent rest) :) :twisted:

Are you serious? I can't believe you actually wrote that! I'm not going to belittle this thread and this forum with what I now think of you or your ridiculous comments. You've already done that.

I'm utterly speechless. :shock:

Vive les All Blacks!!! [:D]
  • fenlandplodder
    fenlandplodder Posts: 230
    edited July 2007
    The mind boggling thing about the Etape is the direct comparison with the professionals. I think that if you work out the time limit for the professionals, they had to get to the finish in under 6 hours 17 minutes 57seconds. That means everybody in the Etape would have missed the time cut for the professionals :shock: .

Congratulations to al those that completed it. It looked like a great route this year.
  • Finally. :D
    Dan
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I congratulate and admire everyone who entered the Etape du Tour, and I understand the satisfaction and even euphoria each finisher now deservedly has.
    However, for those who don't live in France, isn't the event now a rip-off? And a big money-making enterprise for the travel companies?

When it started, foreigners could register (just like French residents still can), by using the form in the magazine Velo. Obviously a little more was involved - getting hold of the appropriate edition of the magazine (nowadays the registration form is also online), then making one's own travel and accommodation arrangements, etc.
    However, since the organising ASO group handed over the registration rights for foreign participants to travel companies, the price for foreigners to enter has shot up.

The cheapest trip with Sporting Tours (to name just one example) cost £350 for 3 nights B&B, one evening meal and coach transfers in the area (travel to/from the UK is not included, only to/from the event from Toulouse). This is far more than one might pay if one found one's own accommodation or went camping.

In addition, Sporting Tours charged £120 as entry fee to the Etape, although the actual entry fee was only 58 Euro (~£40). Some of this additional fee is perhaps to cover coach travel to the hotel from the finish, maybe £10, but I don't really understand how they get away with the rest of the £80 increase.
    (They do charge the correct entry fee to some other events, like the Marmotte, though I still think their other charges at those events high)

I've therefore given up on the Etape and concentrate on the cyclosportives or events like the BRA where I can register independently and make my own travel arrangements, perhaps combining an event with a week's holiday in the area with the family.

If, despite the cost, anyone does still want to enter the Etape du Tour, I would recommend as preparatory training cyclosportives in the same area as the Etape is to take place - they usually cover the same or similar ground, but offer alternative (shorter) distances, so you don't have to exhaust yourself training.
  • knedlicky
    This year ASO are introducing the Etape du Legende and the travel companies are again trying to cash in. Sporting Tours charge £100 for entry, though in reality the fee is only 48 Euro (~£34), or 60 Euro (~£42) if you want to make use of a coach from the finish back to the start.

In my experience, ASO no longer accept applications from individuals outside France to enter the Etape du Tour, however, because the Etape du Legende is the first one and so likely not to be so popular, I suspect it might be possible for non-residents to register via the online form (see link below).

http://www.letapedelegende.com/2007/EDL ... index.html

Ryanair may have had to stop their flights to Strasbourg the other year, but they still fly to Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden, only about 25 miles away.
  • freddy2
    freddy2 Posts: 30
    I got registration only so avoided the tour costs but was stung for the additional fee on registering (these though are in short supply). The rest was then down to getting cheap flights and organising accomodation via the local tourist office. This is not straightforward and makes you a little apprehensive as the time approaches in case something goes wrong. In my case it worked out perfectly mainly because the local people I met wanted it to be perfect.

I would avoid the tour operators every time. That said though if I had no other choice then maybe not because it is like no other event i have been in and I have done a few sportives/audax rides over here. It can't be beaten in my opinion.

What is BRA?
  • lilleycd
    lilleycd Posts: 2
    I too am a recent convert from mountain bike to road and aimed for the etape from last december. What a magnifient event from the starting buzz of 7000 riders to the gruelling salty climbs I had a ball. The whole made even more glorious by the french people spraying hosepipes, shouting encouragement and counting down the meters to the col tops not to mention the bands and church bells ringing in the towns. Unbeatable as a tour experience.
    I staggered in an OK 10 hours 7mins sprinting to the line. My elation dented severely when my bike was stolen at the finish but even that has not affected the feeling a week on that this is an event to treasure for the amatuer cyclist. Do not be put off by the various doomsayers in the preevent blogs this is one not to miss.
    (and all done without a hint of extra blood Vino!)
    vive etapers :D
  • knedlicky
    freddy2 wrote:
    What is BRA?
    Brevet de Randonneur des Alpes.
    In Road Race, under 'Video diary of the BRA - Cousin to the Marmotte', Russell has provided a video. Unless it’s changed, there’s no mass start like in a cyclosportive, but otherwise it’s similar, just less riders more spread out. It is one of the oldest and most highly-regarded events for amateur cyclists. There are several similar events in the Swiss Alps, Vosges, Apennines.

Some cyclosportives are just as well organised and attended as the Etape. The Marmotte seems the most well-known and gets over 4000 participants, the l'Ardéchoise in the Central Massif is the largest with even more competitors than the Etape du Tour (12,000 I think, admittedly spread over the option of 5 different distances), the Oetztaler Radmarathon in Austria is considered at least difficult as, if not more so than, the Marmotte.
  • stevie doc
    stevie doc Posts: 80
    got caught by the broom wagon with about 10 miles to go.i'm sick.just appeared that i didn't have anything in the legs on the final third of the port de bales.
    but i did appear much better on the peyresourde weird or what?
    i'm putting it down not being able to cope with the heat of the day,poor excuse though as it was the same for everyone.
    i'll try again next year and i won't be caught with no broom wagon.
    as for the french they were terriffic,despite not finishing and feeling exhausted, i would do it all again tomorrow. :wink:
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Stevie,

Sorry to hear you got caught and glad that you are already aiming to do it again next year and am sure with this year for experience you will beat it.

I feared the broomwagon this year and was glad that it never caught me.

How far up the Peyresourde were you before being caught? It sounds like you alnmost made it.

Intrigued as to what are the 'mechanics' of being swept? How do they sweep you? First car passes you so that you know you've been swept, second pulls up alongside and suggests you dismount, a coach and lorry follow behind??? I read stories from last year of people tryiung to ride on in defiance?
    Rich
  • OFOAB
    OFOAB Posts: 905
    RichA wrote:
    Stevie,

Intrigued as to what are the 'mechanics' of being swept? How do they sweep you? First car passes you so that you know you've been swept, second pulls up alongside and suggests you dismount, a coach and lorry follow behind??? I read stories from last year of people tryiung to ride on in defiance?

Car with clock on passes and tells you you have been elimated and that you must stop riding and await the "bus". Most european riders mutter variations on "sod-off" and continue, as did I: a large number of polite Brits pulled into the roadside to wait. My arguement was if the damn thing had to collect all the people behind me I still had loads of time in hand to get to the finish. It sure as hell wasn't going to keep up with me on the downhills!
    I wish I was any place but the someplace I\'m in
  • motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    For my fivepence woth. We had a team of five, four of whom made it round. Training started in earnest in nov/dec. None of us had ever ridden an alpine climb before and only I made it to italy for some riding in may in the heat. None of us have been or are club riders.
    It is doable. Fair enough its hard, but thats the point. Don't let others put you off. My advice would be buy a bike with a triple or low geared compact and get out there!
    All the best!
    Tom
    PS the guy who didn't make it dropped 1.5 stone and is the fittest he's ever been, he is going back next year!
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • I have enjoyed reading and echo the comments above. I have just had two weeks holiday to recover!

This was my second etape. I started cycling 2 years ago preparing for my first. I was well prepared and confident I would do well this year. I had been on a training camp, recce'd the course and was down to 68Kg (178cm). I also had a new cervelo R3 to play with!

What completely screwed me was a bout of Norwalk virus the week before which really laid me low and ensured the last 100km of my ride was hell.

The organisers certainly learnt from last years water fiasco. There was plenty of water on the course. Which was just as well given the heat.

Given this I was pleased with my time in the end. I will do it again in 5 years when I 'm 50 and can have 20 more minutes to get a silver medal time!

My stats:

Last year:

8hours 50mins Overall position 2584, position in category (40-49) 1005

missed silver medal by 30 mins

This year:

9hours 10 mins Overall position 1270, position in category(40-49) 537

missed sillver medal by 20 mins! (work that out!)

2012.........................?
  • BillK
    BillK Posts: 1
    I just found this web site having been looking for the last couple of weeks for other comments on l'Etape 2007. I have done this every year since 2000 and believe it was by far the hardest. i don't think it is because I am getting older, although I am cat E (1938), because I did a better time this year than last 10:30 of 12 allowed as opposed to 10:53 out of 11 allowed. I did have a much better number 2260 compared to 7835 and that is worth about 20 minutes.

The organization has always been excellent except for the problem last year when they ran out of water on l'Alpe d'Huez. It was nearly as hot this year and they definitely learned from their mistakes.

Does anyone know how many actually started, ideally in each category? I asked ASO and they told me it would be on my diploma. I don't think so as all that has shown before is my position overall and category among finishers.

I noted some comments about being ripped off by tour operators on entry only places. My understanding is that ASO charges the tour operators considerably more than they charge direct entrants from France. I used to enter this way, but as it is usually heavily oversubscribed and I don't have a lot of cycling years left, have used tour operators for the past 3 years. I was very disappointed that Graham Baxter would only give entry only places to those who did their training camp either in Spain or the Yorkshire Dales.

I can also offer another French Cyclosportif that is as well organized as l'Etape and also good training for it. It is Les Copains, in Ambert. The URL is http://perso.orange.fr/cyclo-les.copains/ but that has changed several times over the past few years. It can always be found with an Internet search or on the French site Velo101. The date is in the first week of July and often, but not this year, is close enough to l'Etape that it can be combined in the same trip. I am happy to give more information via PM.

I could not agree more with those who wrote about what an incredible experience this is and I would strongly endorse the opinions of those who were encouraging people to have a go. You do need to be in good shape and willing to suffer a bit if necessary. Whatever you do, unless you are at least an elite rider and have done high mountains before, use a triple or compact. I used a triple 52/39/30 x 13/26 until this year when I switched to a 50/34 x 12/29. Every year I have seen a lot of fit looking young men speaking English "a pied" (on foot and pushing) with a lowest gear that looks like a 39/23 or 25.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Can we unsticky this now?
    Rich